blackpowder second gun

Edward Dixon

Inactive
I've been shooting (and hunting with) a Lyman
Trade Rifle for about the last four years. I
also have an Uberti-made reproduction Remington handgun I've grown quite fond of. My question is : I'm thinking now about a long gun in blackpowder for squirrels and such and was wondering if anybody had any recommendations. I'm now willing to spend at least twice(probably more) than I did for
my .50, and want something pretty and accurate.

If you're willing to put the time in, Golden State Arms has some nice kits for about $450. Stocks are preinletted for the barrel and locks, and the ramrod channels are drilled. You do final fitting of parts. It's timely, but rewarding. Will repost when I find their address.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

One of the prettiest small-bore BP guns I have seen in a long while is the little Seneca .36 by Thompson/Center. Pal of ours brought it up to hunting camp two weeks ago...first three shots out of the brand-new gun hit a 3 by 5 inch 'snag' about 100 yards out in the lake. The stock looked like a thousand dollar blank was used to turn it. I wasn't surprised as some there, I've been shooting T/C guns for a long time and never met one that wasn't phenomenally accurate. They have great barrel-making machinery in Rochester, I guess. The Seneca isn't a catalog item, it's available only from T/C's custom shop: Fox Ridge. Pricey, but worth it.

------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

Golden Age Arms is at 115 E. High St., P.O. Box 366, Ashley, Ohio 43003. Catalog is $4.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I've always favored my Pedersoli Black powder 12 ga. double .... Its lighter than a kentucky and sounds REALLY cool when you touch of 90 grains of FFg. The range officer always comes a runnin (OH you are shooting black powder)

Fun for skeet, squirrels, upland birds, wabbits too.

And its a really nice conversation piece, looks good over the mantle piece. Gets a LOT OF ATTENTION IN THE FIELD.

(picked up mine for a SONG at a gun show $200 compared to cabela's asking price of $600) Shop around.. front stuffing shotguns kick ass!

Dr.Rob

Back