Blackpowder Pistol Kits

ohen cepel

I've been looking at the CVA blackpowder pistol kits as a way to pass some time.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Are there other makers out there?

Thanks,

I think you should find your answer from our Blackpowder gurus in the Blackpowder forum. Check for replies there :)

Ohen,
About 15 years ago I got a kit for a brass framed '58 revolver. I still shoot and enjoy the gun. I don't know how the kits have changes since then but here's what I got back then.

All stell parts were machined and fited. The barrel and loading lever were in the white (not blued).

All brass parts were out of the mold which meant I did a lot of sanding to get the brass polished.

The grips were in-let to the frame, but otherwise had to be fitted and shaped.

I doubt much as changed since then - basically you do the finishing work.

If you enjoy this type of work, then the CVA kit will serve you well.

ohen

I have built 2 of CVA's kit guns and both were fun to build (easy also) both are still being used today one by my best friend and the other by my son. you cannot go wrong but you MUST pay attention to detail for safety sake....

CVA makes good dependable guns and kits, but if you want to take a step up in quality order a Dixie Gun Works catelog and look at the kits in there. You'll find a much wider variety of kits by a host of other makers aside from CVA. Whether you want to build a revolver or a single shot rifle or pistol you'll have no problem finding something that interests you. Also there are several good books on the subject of building kit guns that would probably prove useful and could help you decide which one you want to build. The last one I put together was the 36 caliber Spiller & Burr revolver kit sold by the company, it proved and enjoyable project and by doing some research I was able to match the original finishes used by the Spiller & Burr manufacturer. Have Fun.

I bought a CVA kit brass frame Remington kit from one dealer during the National Matches (blackpowder) at Friendship, IN. At $65, it was hard to pass up. Right now I'm making a powder horn and will be hacking, ahem, filling & fitting, the revolver afterwards.

digging up this old thread...

Where can one purchase CVA revolver kits online? I haven't seen any for sale locally, thanks.

Back