Blackpowder longguns--need a FFL to receive?

deblaw223

If a buy a blackpowder longgun online, does it have to ship to me through a FFL?

Can I buy a blackpowder longgun in another State and just transport it back to my State?

You can purchase a black powder long gun and have it shipped to you from another state right to your door. Providing your jurisdiction you live in allows it.

Same with transporting a black powder long gun from another state to yours.

Same goes for black powder pistols.

If your black powder long gun has provisions for being a smokeless powder gun such as the TC Encore, you cannot have it shipped to your door. It has to go through an FFL. CVA also makes a gun where this applies. Already you can see the value of asking this on the internet and getting two different answers. Check with your local gun store, I know for a fact this is correct because I've gone through it twice.

My three BP firearms were shipped directly to my door w/o an FFL. Exceptions such as the State of Illinois exist -- buy a BP firearm from an Illinois gun store and it must go thru an FFL in your state.

David :)

Always exceptions

Although rare and not required by any state's law, there are private sellers that will only ship to your FFL. This happened to me on a purchase through G.B. My FFL didn't know what to do with it, so he just let me know it came in and that was that. ..... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

I don't know the BP transfer laws in ALL the states, but if he purchases a BP firearm from an Illinois gun store, it must be shipped to a FFL in Nevada. It's the Illinois law that makes no differentiation between BP and other non BP firearms. Now if the Nevada store (FFL) does not wish to charge for a BP transfer, then fine no issue. But, the BP firearm from Illinois cannot go to the home of the purchaser.

David :)

There is noting to transfer !!!

Now if the Nevada store (FFL) does not wish to charge for a BP transfer, then fine no issue.
There is actually nothing to be transferred as no such form exists for BP firearms. The seller just wants to make sure it gets "mailed" to an FFL. In my case, the seller did not confirm that my FFL, was real. All I did, was provide the seller with the name and number of my FFL. As Stated before, my FFL did not know what to do with this as this was the first time he had encountered this. ..... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

I recently had a similar situation as Pahoo did. My FFL called me told me it had arrived. They just handed me the box and said here you go. They had seen a couple of cases where bp handguns had been shipped to a FFL, but not a long gun as in my case.

Depends on the state. In Michigan it is OK, as BP was exempted. You will still see some companies, like Sportsmans Guide, that refuse to ship BP firearms to Michigan. That is due to company ignorance instead of the state law. I think a possible exception would be for revolvers that have cartridge conversion kits available.

Very true. Cabelas has refused me power belt bullets, sportsman's wouldn't sell me a tomahawk. No actual law I can find restricts sales of these products into Mass. However you do need a license to purchase bullets here. I offered to send a copy of my license, still they wouldn't make the sale. The tomahawk is for sale here at the local Dicks Sporting Goods. I can't blame these companies for protecting themselves from states that are anti weapon. I don't like it, but I do understand where they are coming from.

Back