Blackpowder is more addictive than tobacco...

Low Key

I'm hooked....can't help it.
About four years ago I bought an 1858 Remington replica from Cabela's, got all the stuff I needed to shoot it and started learning how to actually shoot a cap n ball revolver. I loaded up and spent a couple of weekends firing off a few, disassembling and cleaning, etc. I got tired of the cleaning process and put the pistol in the safe where it stayed for over three years.
Every once in awhile I would take it out and inspect it for rust and make sure everything was still good to go if I ever wanted to load it up and shoot it again.
A couple of months ago I took out the pistol and looked it over, I still had some pyrodex pellets left over from my original purchase so I thought "I'll just shoot up the rest of these pellets to get rid of them." So out I go into the back yard shoot up the rest of my pyrodex and clean up the pistol and right back in the safe it went. The next day I find myself thinking "dang, that was fun shootin yesterday-maybe I'll just buy some more powder and balls and shoot a few more."
Well I bought some powder and balls and had a great time shooting the next weekend and I find myself looking forward to the next time I can shoot my 1858! HOOKED! :eek:
Now I'm looking forward to every weekend so that I can get out and shoot a few with the ol 1858. It's been the same every weekend since and I love it!

Are you hooked too? Whats your story?

I agree. My dad gave me a CVA 1860 Colt Army kit 20+ years ago and i used it quite a bit for the first couple of years. I pulled it back out last summer and had a hoot shooting it. Been shooting it ever since and can't wait for the next time. Everyone seems to enjoy watching the fire and smoke she produces!

I bought my Ruger before I was 21. In CA, you had to buy it through a dealer and wait the 21 days. So, I mail ordered it instead from Gil Hebard and had a lot of fun with it. However, I wasn't hooked on longrifles until I saw one at the Remington factory store in Illion. I had to have one. Darn if they're not the most fun guns to shoot and very difficult to master (try hitting an orange or grapefruit at 100 yards - I can't yet the riflemen of the Revolution could).

My 1858 brass frame shoot as good as any pistol i own
i like cleaning guns almost as well as shooting them

I actually don't mind the cleaning anymore. I enjoy that too...maybe I've developed some patience over the years. Sometime next year I'm going to get another 58...stainless. :D

Back