Blackpowder CCW - crazy idea?

Poplin

I was browsing an outdoor supply catalog when it struck me that one can mail-order blackpowder firearms without filling out federal forms and so on. Are these guns considered "firearms?"

Having a Civil War ball-and-powder revolver under your jacket is much better than having nothing in a gunfight.

Does anyone have any idea about the legality of carrying such a weapon in a non-CCW area?

In most places you will go to jail.
I know of no state that exempts BP guns
from concealment laws.

The laws for purchasing them are different.
For example, you can get a NAA mini in
blackpowder by mail. Pretty neat gun.

But carry it and get caught? Oops.

Ask Josie Wales.. hahaha

But seriously even though BP guns are not considered "firearms" by the atf its STILL not a good idea to get caught with one concealed. Note: and LOTS of convicted (yet reformed) motorcycle enthusiasts i know have BP guns..

secondly.. there is a LOT more to carrying a BP pistol.. chance of misfires, jammed percussion caps, keeping powder dry, cylinder lube staining clthes etc., RUST and other problems.

and Third, most BP revolvers are ballisticly anemic (in concealable size anyway) compared to modern arms. a 36 cal colt pocket police is one of the sweetest handling lil pistols ever... its also ballistically equivalent of a 32 acp lead bullet.. not esp. "beefy" in the manstopping department. Now if you are BIG enough to conceal a colt walker... well then .. that's a different story.

Fourth.. BP makes a LOT of smoke and quite a sharp report and throws sparks everywhere. You are likely to a) lose your hearing firing one indoors b) set off the smoke/fire alarms and c) shower innocent bystanders with sparks and risk setting the drapes on fire in a home defense situation. So EVEN if it WAS legal.. You have a LOT of 'splainin' to do Lucy. ;)

Even so, I have a GORGEOUS 1851 Colt navy (signature series) and a cabela's 1860 Army with a fluted cylinder, a pedersoli black powder double barrel 12 ga. shotgun and a 54 cal CVA hawken rifle, an arkansas tooth pick and a tomohawk. Don't break into MY teepee at the Pow-wow ;)

Dr.Rob

Dr.Rob,

Would you say that a BP handgun is MORE noisy than the average cartridge handgun of say 9mm or .40 S&W caliber ? Somehow I always thought that their reduced balistics would equal reduced report and reduced recoil.

------------------
Mike H

My brother, who resides in PA, used to carry a BP 44 (CCW permit). All he could afford. Great smoke cover and when empty very effective club. When my Father got wind of his carry choice he pomptly arranged for the acquirement of a Glock 45 - not nearly as good of a club.

As Dr. Rob notes, just because the ATF doesn't consider a BP weapon a "weapon", that doesn't mean other jurisdiction feel the same way about it.

The "non-weapon" classification addresses only the licensing and transfer of the weapon under Federal law. Your state and local governments may feel a lot differently about it. And with regard to carrying BP in areas where "firearms" aren't allowed -- don't even try it. The ATF classification won't matter, then. You'll end up with a potential felony charge, no weapons, and no opportunity to even buy a non-BP gun in the future...

Where I live, black powder pistols are legal to own (you can get them through the mail, at some gun shops, gun shows, etc.), but it is technically illegal to load or fire them. As for concealed carry, you might as well carry a full-auto sawed off shotgun with a silencer, you'll end up the same place if you get caught.

Hi, guys.

I know of no state the ban or regulates the carrying of concealed weapons that does not include all firearms in that category. Many also include air guns, pellet guns, CO2 guns, and even toy guns. The latter are used in a surprising number of holdups.

Jim

P.S. Many years ago I knew a fellow who carried a Model 1849 Colt pocket model in Washington, D.C. I kept looking in the paper to see if there were any reports of a bad guy being shot with a single buckshot pellet (which I figured is what they would have thought it was) but never saw anything.

JEK

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited December 31, 1999).]

When I was taking the class for my CCW I thought about taking my BP single shot pistol just to see the look on the instructers face.
My second choice was to burrow my uncles Desert Eagal .50 to see what he said.
Rigid

------------------
If you didn't know there are 2 new Taurus areas on the web.
TaurusGuns and Taurus Forum
TaurusGuns is a mailing list that is looking for people go to http://www.onelist.com/community/TaurusGuns to find out how to suscribe
Taurus Forum is a forum that is solely decatated to Taurus firearms and related materal. go to <A HREF="http://www.taurusforum.com/
for" TARGET=_blank>http://www.taurusforum.com/
for</A> more info.
Rigid
The Sleeper Must Awaken

Back