Blackpowder Case ID

model18

BlackPowderCase1.jpg

BlackPowdercase2.jpg

Can anyone tell me if this is old or a repro. The inside flap is stamped with an "I F" with a fish? symbol in between the letters. Thanks in advance, GEO

Old but not ancient. The stitching looks like it was machine stitched. A very nice piece. If you are disappointed that it is not 200 years old, PM me and I will let you give it to me.:D

Old is relative and not a faithful reproduction. However, it is made "In the spirit" of the old possibles bag that the Mountain Man used. Buckskinning started quite a few years ago and along the way, many fine leather crafters have made some nice bags. There are a lot of cheap ones out there and I would say this is a nice one. Might have better luck identifying it on one of the Buckskinner sites. Have only seen one original possibles bag and it was in pretty bad shape. Doubt if many have survived. Powder flasks and horns are a different story. Might also want to contact the NMLRA.

Be Safe

Put it up for sale if you wish !!! ???

Last edited:
black powder case ID

Thanks guys.......yes I knew it wasn't 1800's (although the knife looks that old (see pics) It's very well made and it's not for sale. I just never saw one like this in all my years of messin' with guns and was trying to get some add'l info on it. It also came with an old bone/antler power measurer. Really cool stuff. Thanks again, you've been a big help!

BoneKnife2.jpg

BoneKnife3.jpg

powdermeasure.jpg

I sure wouldn't mind seeing a picture of that knife too. :)

Woa!! talk about instant gratification! Model18 made his post while I was typing mine, LOL!

Last edited:
Gees. ... :eek: I like that powder measure. I make mine out of horn they look very much like this one. Mine are all hand made. Like to know if this one is made by hand. You can tell if its' not concentric or perfectly round at the cut areas. If it was old, it would be a darker color. What other goodies were in your bag ?? Cracks on the antler also show age. Thanks for the show !!

Be Safe

black powder case ID

also in the bag was a nipple wrench and a cap dispenser. The rnd. opening on the horn is evenly cut and smooth and in overall EXC. for something this old. Thanks for all the input guys. You've been a big help!

Back