Blacking Mossberg Marinecote

RickG30

I want to blacken my Mossberg Mariners finish. It just about glows in the moonlight! I want to do it at home and it doesn't have to look great, just work great.
Has anyone used Brownells new Teflon/moly ovencure. It sounds
like it would work and have some lube qualities as well. Thanks.
Rick

Rick, I use it a lot. It does a good job and will give you a nice finish. Just follow the directions on the can. When you order it, I recommend you order some TCE degreaser as well. It works better than anything else I've tried. Be ready to catch hell for stinking up the house. George

I ordered the Teflon/moly and the TCE degreaser. Would it be worth the effort to try to apply it to the inside of the barrel or mag tube? If so, what would be the best way to do it? Thanks.
Rick

Rick, it wouldn't last 5 shots in the barrel I don't think. You could try to coat the inside of the mag tube but I wouldn't. The only guns I've ever seen with rust inside the mag tubes are those that show other serious signs of years of neglect. George

would this stuff work on a AK? I have a Maddi
that has a painted black finnish that flakes
off, if I bead blasted I could get all paint
off, is this coat flat black, and does it
last long in wear areas?

Zot, it would work fine on the AK. I always let a gun sit undisturbed for about 10 days before reassembling to let the finish "cure". It may not be necessary to do this but it seems to me that it helps. I refinished a revolver for a guy and let him have it back too early. He returned about two days later with a silver line all the way around the bolt notches in the cylinder. I refinished the cylinder, kept the pistol for two weeks and now he's happy as a clam. The longer this finish stays on a gun the harder or more scratch resistent it becomes. George

Hello George, I got my stuff and I have field stripped my 500. Should I remove the extractor and finish the inside of the reciever? How about the breaking down the trigger group and bolt and spraying the metal parts? Extractors? elevator? etc.
I have a metal safety. Should I spray it and the plate underneath and the reciever under the safety? I keep thinking.... well I've done this much I might as well do a little more.
Oh yeah, how about the action bars, handguard tube and nut? See what I mean?
Rick

Rick, you certainly won't hurt anything. The teflon/moly coating does protect parts and is self lubricating. It just depends on how far you want to break down the gun. For me, it depends on whether I'm refinishing the gun for a customer (full treatment) or just sprucing up a jaded trade-in (cosmetic). George

I certainly hope this won't hurt anyones feelings. I sent my Ithica Mod 37 with the bright finish to Walter Birdsong and had him do his Black T finish on it and the results were good! Shotgun does hard duty an shows very little wear. Good finish and took "chrome" to matte.
Hank
Also have some firearms done with "Oven Coat"? that are still looking very good.
Don't really remember except that the house smelled, the wife was P.O ed but got over it!
Good Shooting, Hank

[This message has been edited by HankL (edited April 26, 1999).]

I just screwed up and put a post in the shotgun section about my results with the teflon/moly on my Mossberg. It looks great. I got the beadblasting done free so it cost less than $40 and I have enough for another gun. George, can you look at my other post? I have a couple more questions. Thanks.
Rick

I just screwed up and put a post in the shotgun section about my results with the teflon/moly on my Mossberg. It looks great. I got the beadblasting done free so it cost less than $40 and I have enough for another gun. George, can you look at my other post? I have a couple more questions. Thanks.
Rick
Darn. A double post! I'm just too excited about my new finish, I guess.

[This message has been edited by RickG30 (edited April 30, 1999).]

Rick, sounds like you did a good job! I'll try to remember your questions, but if I miss anything just remind me. I wouldn't worry too much about not applying it under the safety. If you get a safety with a ribbed bottom then you can dispense with the plate. It works in conjunction with the detent ball. I don't think that any finish can compare with NP3. That's just my opinion, but I don't know of anything out there that is better. George

Back