blackhorn 209 load

dr1445

I picked up a 50 cva accura mp weatherguard with scope mount, 2 jugs of blackhorn 209 [1 opened], a brick of cci 209m primers, over 100 295 powerbelts, and a bunch of other stuff, jags, starter rods etc.etc. The rifle is mint, fellow had to give up hunting and had only sighted in the rifle at the range. It came with 2 each breechplugs for bh209 and black powder. I do not hunt and have been shooting 75 grains of t7 3fg with sabot and 44 cal 240 hornady swagged lead hp bullets in my tc omega and black diamond. An equivalent bh209 load would be around 65 grains? i had not considered to use bh209 because of the cost, since the powder basically fell into my lap, i might as well give a try.

Like you, I happened apon some 209. I only own one .44 calibre breechloading rifle. It preferred a heavy loading. Low fouling. Low smoke. (rats) I found the material to work as well, and as cleanly as advertised. I liked it so much, I used much of my excess in a couple hundred 45-70 cartridges. My chronograph has 42 grains moving a 405 slug at 1,416 f.p.s. Out of my 20" lever. Pretty hot for a b.p. Sub. Clean. Shot 45 of the same cartridge thru my revolver before it got remarkably dirty. I was impressed enough to keep an extra can on hand.

Back