Blackhawk vs. Bisley Vaquero?

MatthewVanitas

Anyone have any opinions as to the comparison between the Ruger Blackhawk and the Ruger Bisley Vaquero?
I'm thinking specifically of the 45 Colt versions, but a more general opinion is fine.
I've read comments by several of the big-bore revolver fans that the Bisley grip aids in reducing recoil; are there any downsides to the Bisley? Is there still a reason to buy Blackhawks instead?

The Vaquero has fixed sights were the Blackhawk has adjustable sights. So that is another significant difference. I have a Bisley-Vaquero and have been very happy with it.

Semper Fi

I have a Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt (or .45LC , whatever) and I can't say enough good about it. It handles great, and is easy to shooy accurately...recoil is no problem with a gun that big, and the Bisley type grip probably helps too. Great fun for plinking.

The Bisley grip frame is available in .41, .44 and .45 in either the Vaquero or Blackhawk configuration. Depends on whether you want to play cowboys (Vaquero) or hit what you shoot at (Blackhawk.) Few Vaqueros shoot to the sights, something you should consider carefully before buying one.
The Bisley grip frame is steel, like the Super's, the standard Blackhawk's is aluminum. Balance and shooting comfort are better in the Bisley configuration, the 'experts' say.
I have five Blackhawks, a Super Blackhawk and a Bisley. Can't see much difference in actual shooting comfort, but the Bisley grip still feels a little 'funny' to this old hogleg man. I like the way the hammer falls under the thumb, though.

Slabsides,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Ruger has discontinued the .41 Mag.

LCpl Boris,

The choice between the Vaquero and the Blackhawk depends on the intended use.

For SASS competition, the Vaquero it great. For hunting or reloading experimentation, the Blackhawk is better. I prefer the adjustable sights of the Blackhawk.

I also don't care for the Bisley gripframe. The Bisley grip is available in both the Vaqueros and Blackhawks.

Doc Hudson

As I see it, the various grip frames and hammer configurations are purely a "personal feel" issue, at least until you get into recoil levels beyond .44Mag levels.

For my hands, the original Blackhawk/Vaquero "SAA type" grip and hammer works best. I tend to cup the underside of the "cowboy grip" with my off hand and after recoil, use the off hand to suck the barrel back down as I cock it. In other words, I'm letting it roll back...not exactly "modern technique" but it works for me.

I don't shoot handcannon class though; several reports say that the Bisley grips handle big recoil better and I doubt what I'm doing with lesser calibers would work with a .454 or a Linebaugh.

Remember, there's infinite variation available here. You can also go with various bird's-head grips, you can mix-n-match the two factory hammer types, you can get just what you want.

My biggest complaint is that the Blackhawk rear sight is a travesty, and the Vaquero sight is a bad joke. On a Blackhawk, the rear sight "overhangs" into the area you need open for fast cocking. What's needed is to take a Blackhawk type topstrap, rip out the rear sight, fill in the gap, round out the rear of the topstrap and cut a dovetail about 3/4ths inch forward of the rear of the topstrap for something like a 1911 or Glock rear sight of whatever type you're into...I like the Ashley Express type shallow V, myself. Several companies make Blackhawk Tritium-dot front sights already.

Freedom Arms did their rear sight right, about .5" forward of the rear of the topstrap. I'd prefer a hair further forward but that's adequate.

Jim

Back