Blackhawk revolver verses the Rossi 45 colt

Wendyj

I had purchased a SS Rossi 22 inch barrel a few months back. Rear sight has been an issue for me. I think I gave $450.00 for it new. I've put a Pearsons no drill scout scope mount on it and popped a red dot on the rail. A buddy wants to swap me a new Ruger Blackhawk even up for the Rossi. I've got a Vaquero but like the thought of adjustable sights. I'm loading 250 grain Lyman cast bullets in it. Which one will hold its value longer and is it a good trade. It's blue nib and 5.5 inch barrel. I wouldn't hesitate if stainless and 4.6 barrel.

It depends on what you want, you already have a revolver and a rifle. If you trade then you have two pistols, what about just selling your Vaquero and getting a stainless Blackhawk if that's what you really want? The Ruger's are tanks and are built to last but there are a ton of them out there, the rifles seem to be a little harder to come across these days.

Has the Rossi lost its charm? Have you got more money into the Rossi than the price on a new Blackhawk? It sounds like your friend initiated the offer as a straight-across-deal. Don't accept the offer. Make a counter-offer; let him sweeten the deal. Remember, your Rossi is virtually brand-new, plus some up-grades. You just got the thing. But yeah, I think I would maybe do the deal, and look for a Marlin afterwards, if I felt it was truly a fair deal. Remember, too, you can always just go and buy your own Blackhawk, and you already have the Vaquero. Sleep on it a while and let the idea have a chance to marinate for a while, so you can have a more harmonious outcome.;)
Why does he want to get out of the Blackhawk? Did it lose its charm, too?
Ask yourself these questions before you do the deal, and haggle 'til it's a good deal.
It's totally OK for the deal to fall through, too. But if you regret buying the Rossi, then this could be a good opportunity to get out of it.
Good luck, and I hope this works out for you, one way, or another, without regrets.
And keep your Vaquero.;)

Last edited:
I had purchased a SS Rossi 22 inch barrel a few months back. Rear sight has been an issue for me.
that right there.

Hal's pat pending rules for selling/trading start out with one simple question:

Do like it, yes or no.
If no, then get rid of it at any price/cost. (life is too short to hang onto things you don't enjoy).

If something about it has been a problem, and is causing you to dislike the item, then shed it.
Having some big ugly red dot stuck on top of my svelte lever gun would drive me nuts....

The rifle is shooting pretty decent with the 1 moa red dot on it. It was shooting 18 inches high at 75 yards even with elevated riser taken out. That's why I purchased the no drill scout scope mount. I could have bought a taller sight I gues but was still having issues with eyes picking up the rear sight. Something about a little lever action to put in scabbard on my horse just doesn't look right. I'm a fair shot with 9 mm and 357 and am halfway ok with the 45 but I knew I could shoot the rifle better. I sold a 357 vaquero to purchase the Rossi since I had another vaquero in 45 colt. You all have about talked me into keeping my rifle. Going to Buds gun shop just to check prices it appears the blued model is only selling about $20.00 more than my Rossi. I had found a really nice spot where I keep my horses that was outside a bedding area with no shots over 50-60 yards. That was why I bought the 45 rifle. Season only had 2 days left when I got it up and sighted in right.

Back