Blackhawk or Redhawk?

I'm looking at getting one of these pistols in either .41, .44, or .45 and wanted some others opinions on overall strength. I had a Blackhawk in .357 and I currently have a Redhawk in .357, I think they're both great and would love to have a new version of either one but strength is my main concern right now.
I don't reload with reckless abandon, but I figure if I start with the stronger platform I'll be shooting it that much longer.
Any opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What he said!

The SuperRedHawk is actually the strongest of the lot, stronger by a tiny margin than the SA Blackhawk/Vaquero/Bisleys (which all share the same basic frame and have identical strength).

But despite being lighter, the SAs (and *especially* the Bisley variants) absorb big recoil better than any DA revolver made. It's got to do with where the frame is sitting in the hand, and the way the grip "rolls" in the hand. In .357Magnum, it's likely you haven't found a load that really stresses either gun very much, since most commercial loads are set up to work passably well in light K and J-frame critters.

As to caliber: I recommend studying what John Linebaugh has to say regarding the potential of the .45 Long Colt in bone-stock Ruger SAs, at http://www.sixgunner.com/linebaugh

Using "Linebaugh style ballistics", Buffallo Bore ammo sells a 325grain hardcast .45LC+P rated "Ruger only" that pulls over 1,300fps from a 5" barrel. That's slightly hotter than most .44Mag fodder, yet it's controllable in a Ruger SA. Plus that same gun and caliber can shoot milder defense ammo such as the Winchester Silvertips (225grain JHP at 950fps) or mild "Cowboy Action" plinking ammo (250grain at 700 - 750fps).

My only complaint with my SBH is the 'Dragoon' trigger guard. First time I shot it my finger got beat up. Seems like some sort of sadist would come up with the idea of a sharp corner at that location. Put on Houge grips and saved my finger. I love the look of the original grip panels but I like using my fingers better.

Oh Yeah! Whiskey, those are some mighty fine looking guns!

Blackhawk vs. Redhawk

Off topic...I know .

Somewhat akin to comparing apples to oranges; single action to double action. Had the opportunity to test fire a .50 Redhawk by Hamilton Bowen a few years ago. I'm still hurting. I'll leave the mega-horsepower stuff to you younger men. I'm too old for this...

I also have a .357 Redhawk. I almost never shoot it. It is so damn heavy, I can only maintain peak performance for maybe 30-40 rounds.

I hate to cop out on this but I think the issue is more double action vs. single action.
Both are great guns and will take just about any load you want to feed them. Nothing but insanity could defeat either one. It basically comes down to personal preference. My suggestion would be to buy them all. Out of the calibers you mention, I prefer the .45 Colt. Very versitile caliber. Light cowboy loads to monster loads with heavy bullets.
By the way, you can get the SBH with a round trigger guard.

Blackhawk grip is typical SA and allows it to slide just a bit, dissipating recoil. Redhawk has a typical DA grip, jamming the pistol into the web of the hand and hurting it.. :eek:

MY REDHAWKS

Have a 7.5" 357, and 5.5" 41, 44, and 45.

I guess it's safe to say I prefer the Redhawks.

They are strong enough for any sane purpose. Trust me on this.

Mine all wear Pachmayr Decelerators, and get used for (among other things LOL) IPSC competition.

Redhawks are STRONG, that's not even a question here. Almost certainly at least as strong as any Ruger SA, possibly stronger (although they weigh more to get that strength).

The problem is that recoil control on the real monster loads is better with the SAs, esp. with the Bisley grip (which can be retrofitted to any SA Ruger for less than $200, incl. the SuperBlackHawk).

how about this

yesterday I set out to order a 357 ss blackhawk, when I left the shop I had a 44mag super redhawk ;) brand new ,cost $30.00 more than the blackhawk with the extra hoge grips :) now my KGP has a big brother :D

Back