Blackhawk issue

Wallyl

This past week I was shooting my 1982 Ruger .45 Colt BHK..all of a sudden I couldn't cock the revolver--seems that something broke inside of it. I opened the loading gate and removed the cylinder--a tiny part fell to the ground. I took it apart and soon found the issue---the XRN-41 Hammer Plunger tip broke off. I emailed Ruger and they promptly responded that they send me a replacement. Was wondering if anybody else had this happen. I shoot mainly .45 ACPs in this pistol and never any "hot" loads. Funny this pin would break on this caliber and not in the .357 BHK and the .44 SBHK---both of which I shoot much more often.

Sometimes, things just break.

Got my first .45 Blackhawk in 83. Been shooting it ever since, nothing has broken. Experimented with heavy loads in the early years, last 30 or so have only been shooting one load a 250gr SWC at just about 1100fps.

Sometimes, things just break. It's not always shoddy anything. You've got a 40 year old pistol and Ruger sent you a new part as soon as you told them about it. At no cost, right?

I'd be a little bummed about a part breaking, but happy about their response.

44AMP I agree---a 40 year old pistol that was "well used not abused"; a critical but tiny pin broke. I was able to take apart the pistol, determine the issue, contact Ruger, and got a response within an hour that a replacement is one the way--at no cost. That is remarkable!

That is remarkable!

No, that's just Ruger's customer service, (which compared to non-gun companies is fantastic and really, really, really good when compared to other gun companies) and they've been doing that since at least the 70s, (that I personally know of) I think they always have....

back in the early 80s I had a case head blow out in my 10/22. (bad round, no flaw in the rifle).

Extractor and plunger went bye-bye in the weeds. I wrote them a letter, and dropped a 1$ bill in the envelope (manual said those two parts cost $0.50 each)

9 days later I got an envelope with a new extractor, plunder, and spring.

I thought that was outstanding considering that, in those days it took 3-5 days for a first class letter to go coast to coast.

A few years ago, Ruger did something with their written warranty that I stand up and applaud. They got rid of it. :D

Ruger makes a point of saying "we stand behind our guns" and they DO it!

Just FYI, tht hammer plunger pin is the most common thing I see break on Rugers. I could say about the only part I see break on them, but I see a lot of stripped ejector rod housing screws too.

And the pin will probably require fitting. They make them a little long.

I have broken many transfer bars over the years. I may have to shorten the hammer plunger pin---too bad In don't have the old one to use as a referenece.

I don’t do New Model Rugers. Stripped ejector rod screws are result of letting the screw get loose. This plagued originals too. They had to be constantly checked for frame screws and ejector rod screw. This was before nylocs. Best to apply thread lock on ejector screw first time it comes loose. Don’t overtighten it or it will strip out. I have 3 Rugers that are close to 60yrs old. Shot thousands of rounds and still running original parts.

I’ve never had a problem with an ejector rod and never heard of this before.

Do you mean the screw that holds the ejector rod in place?

I started with a Bowen Oversize and locking cylinder pin, now made by Belt Mountain… that’s a nice upgrade for a hand cannon.

The loctite tip is always good, as well as not over-torquing small screws. I like the Old Models too (you can keep 3 screws, I like the transfer bar) but must admit I would happily take a New Model .357 or .44 Special or a .327 Single Seven.

Still, for the big boom, until you are getting a Freedom Arms, the older rugers have no peer!

Back