blackhawk barrel length vs accuracy

Rounder

Inactive
Thank you for reading this. I am going to get a Blackhawk convertable .45 Colt/.45ACP. My choice is between a 4" (purchased locally) or 7" barrel (6 hr round trip). Is there that much difference between the two when shooting paper at 50 feet? I reload and will work up the best load but would one bbl length improve or hinder my accuracy? Thanks for your thoughts. Rounder

Not the gun but the 'sight plane', the distance between the sights, is what makes one barrel more 'accurate' than another.
Only you can determine the correct distance. I think the 4" (4 5/8"?) is handier.

I'm with WESHOOT. My Blackhawk .45/.45ACP Conv., is in 4 5/8" bbl, and is VERY handy to pack, and if I do my part, watching the front sight, squeezing through, I hit what I'm aiming at. The fundamentals of shooting accurately are more important, in my opinion, than an additional 2 1/2 inches of bbl.

FWIW. J.B.

I think there is a point where longer barrels can hurt the shootability of a handgun. I can actually shoot my 5 1/2" Blackhawk better than my 7 1/2" one. I think people tend to "chase the sights" around on the longer barrels and the shorter ones don't wiggle around so much. Your best bet is to try the different ones before you buy but that may not be possible. You could always just buy both!

I have Blackhawks in both 4-5/8" and 7-1/2" barrel lengths. The long barrels have the capability of more precise bullet placement at long range or from a rest, but for the kind of shooting you mentioned, barrel length doesn't matter. You'll probably find that you do more shooting with the ACP cylinder, and most ACP loads are optimized for a 5" or shorter barrel anyway.
I also like the longer barrels not only because they use the powerplant of the cartridge more effeciently, but for the better handling. The short guns CARRY better, but don't hang in the hand for me as well as the longer tubes do. FWIW, my Blackhawks are in all calibers from .357 to .44 Mag. My 7-1/2" .45 Convertible shoots better by a gnats' hair than my pard's 4-5/8" .45, but I've got a slightly better trigger, so it should. My pard carries his while guiding, so he likes the short gun.

Back