Blackening sights with carbide

If you can find a caving club in your area, you could ask one of the members. If not you can buy some on eBay here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=242905500

It's a steep price, but when in need...

I know this isn't much help, but it's available in almost every general/hardware store in West VA.

Another source of the sooty flame is an oxy-acetylene torch if you have access to one. Very low acetylene flow and NO oxygen. On second thought, you could use oxygen and no longer worry about the front sight. ;)

Why not use one of the spray sight blackeners? A lot less trouble and mess, and stays on better.

Jim

Thanks Mal H, I put my bid in. Still looking for a cheaper source.
Jim, I've used the spray stuff it's ok but not as good. I bought Birchwood Casey Sight black, I found it to be rather messy.

Try Champions Choice Inc. at 1-800-345-7179. They list the lamps for $12.00 so they probably have the carbide or know where you can get it.

Joefo

Champions Choice does sell the carbide in plastic bottles. Caving supply catalogs are also a good source.

If you have a welding supplies store near you, ask them if they sell it. Most don't unfortunately, but if they don't, ask them if there is a bottle plant around that fills acetylene cylinders. These places use the carbide by the barrel. I got a huge bag about half the size of a coffee can from a bottle plant. I asked the guy how much and he said "don't worry about it. I'll charge you double next time".

I have also used the spray on type and don't care for it. It is not as black.

i am probably reading or misunderstanding the question, but if i am on the same track? i use permanent magic marker. if i am on the wrong page oh well.....time for some shuteye

Maybe I'm just a simpleton, but when I was shooting competitively I always carried a stub of candle and a lighter in my pistol box...candle soot is a good sight blacker. slabsides

Back