Black Powder Supplier Needed

straightShot

Greetings:

Is there a good source for .50 caliber rifle black powder available online? Can black powder be shipped through the mail? Who has the best prices?

I'm looking into this for a friend. Thanks.

straightShot

Don't quote me on this but I don't think so.

BP is classified as an explosive while smokeless powder is classified as a propellant. Therefore, there are different storage requirements for the two basic types of powder. BP can actually detonate while SP will only burn. That's why some companies sell muzzleloaders but you have to go elsewhere to get your FFG, etc.

HTH

You can also try http://www.trackofthewolf.com and they'll sell it to you by the case. Also go to http://www.goex.com for a list of distributors you can contact. Be advised that any supplier will charge you $17 haz mat shipping fee.

BTW, it's the only way I'll buy black powder anymore. Not that it's illegal in this great People's Republic, but the dealers are being driven out of business and it's the only way I can get it nowadays. Somehow this is an improvement since it's cheaper to buy in bulk.

Rifles on line:
www.cabelas.com
www.basspro.com
www.cheaperthandirt.com
These all carry rifles from various mfg. My site as links to a lot more, I just don't remember their names/URLs off the top of my head.

Real BP can be purchased from a few sources on the net, and the links in an earlier post are a good place to start. Normally you have to buy 25 pounds at a time, and pay an extra haz mat shipping fee. If you can find a group of shooters to go in with you on the stuff its worth it, if not 25 pounds is a lot of powder to burn.

Depending on what you are shooting you may want to consider one of the BP subs. Pyrodex is the most common and is usaully easier to find than real BP, and fouls a bit less. Clean Shot and Clear Shot are both BP subs that claim to produce little or no fouling, and to be non-corrisive. Both are hard to find and cost more than BP and Pyrodex. All the subs are more prone to hangfires because the require higher ingnition temps - Normally this can be overcome quite easily.

Hope this helps a bit.

Back