Black powder shells

Swampman1

OK guys, I have my father's and before that my Grandfather's Remington 12 ga. mod 11A (1919). As long as this shotgun has been in my family, it's shot modern-high brass shotshells. Now I've ordered black powder shells https://www.buffaloarms.com/12-gaug...1-8-oz-7-1-2-shot-25-rounds-per-box-amogx12ga to use in the gun. As someone pointed out in another thread, these older shotguns may have something other than a 2 3/4 in chamber. I have no idea the best way to measure this chamber, however if I were to take a fired modern shotshell from this shotgun, and measure the overall length(my understanding is the length is measured from an open shell-not a crimped one), would that tell me what I need to know about the shotshells I purchased? Or for shotshells I plan on reloading? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

A lot of the older guns use 2 1/2" shells. My hammer double made in 1927 does. Measure the inside of your chambers, not a shot shell.

A lot of the older guns use 2 1/2" shells. My hammer double made in 1927 does.

2 1/2, 2 9/16, 2 5/8 and some are 2 3/4. My 1887 Winchester is 2 9/16. I have an old hammer double that's 2 1/2. I have some old Stevens Pumps made in the 30's that are 2 3/4 and an old Riverside double that I'm not sure if it was made by Riverside or Stevens after they bought out Riverside that's 2 3/4. Most of the Winchester 97's are 2 3/4.

OK thanks for the info guys, I think I will take it to my local gunsmith for positive verification. But in the meantime, I also have a 12 ga pump with a 3" chamber stamped on the barrel. Supposing I shoot a modern 2 3/4 shell that I currently shoot in the old 11A, and when my 2 3/4" black powder shells come in, I shoot one of those in the 3" chamber of my pump shotgun, and the are the same length-I should be good to go right?

2 3/4 is fine in a 3 inch chamber. 2 3/4 is 2 3/4 it doesn't matter whether it's bp or smokeless. The dimensions aren't going to change.

OK thanks Hawg, that's was my original thinking actually. If I'm currently shooting 2 3/4" modern loads in the 11A, then a 2 3/4 " BP shell should also work. Just wasn't sure wether the folded crimp on the BPs may be a bit longer-if that makes any sense.
Sorry for all the questions-just want to make sure I proceed safely.

The star crimp will open over the forcing cone on anything longer than the chamber. 2 3/4 will load fine in a short chamber but that doesn't make it safe to shoot.

Back