Black Powder prices...

shurshot

I was into BP pretty heavy in the early 90's, until 2010 or so (very expensive Divorce). Unfortunately sold off most of them under duress. Dust has settled and I have my life back. Getting back into it and checking out my stock, I had a METAL can, 1 pound of Goex FFFG, purchased new at Kittery Trading post around 1992, sticker said $9.49. Today, I was at the Trading post again checking out used BP rifles and I decided to pick up a new can. What a wake up call!! First off, same powder, one pound of Goex, FFFG, but the container was PLASTIC. Yup, plastic. 2nd, the price? $29.99!!! I feel like Rip van Winkle waking up to a new world. What are you guys paying for a pound of GOEX FFFG where you live???

Welcome to the world of $16 minimum wage! Last place I checked a pound was $27 but throwing in with a couple of buddy’s we bought a case at just shy of $10 a pound. It keeps fine and if I needed money I’m sure I could sell it years from now.

I feel fortunate to have gotten a half full 16 oz. can of 3F for free from my neighbor, manufacture date of 03-91, so i could shoot my "wall hanger".

In the '60s was paying $2/lb. at the local sport shop. Was 17 years old and ordered a 15 lb. drum, delivered to our door and cost about $1/lb.
Think min. wage was about $1.75/hr, but the recent price jump in powder and ammo doesn't seem justified/

In the early 60s, I bought my powder and caps from an old gunsmith who had a small shop. The price of a pound of 2 or 3 F DuPont was 75 cents and a tm pf 100 Remington caps was 25 cents. I still have one of the cans with the price asked on it with a grease pencil as well as some of the cap tins. Yep - prices are a bit more now but let's face it . . . . so are the wages. I think the last that I bought of Goex was around $19 / pound - I can see why some have gotten interested in making their own.

As we get older and find that we have more time for our hobbies, we learn that our hobbies have gotten more expensive.

Still, the most expensive hobby is collecting ex-wives...

I used to buy Dupont at $1.00 a pound. Now, the only way I buy powder is to order it by the case for a "savings". The stuff seems to go up in price yearly.

Back