Black powder measures

Pappy John

I've decided to rid myself of the most time consuming step in reloading my BPCR 45.70 rounds...hand measuring the powder charges. Looking at the Hornady and Lyman units, the price seems to be a coin toss. Is there any concencus on the charge accuracy performance of one over the other?

i also started loading blackpowder for my BPCR 45-70 recently and am using a cut off shell. A buddy of mine who only shoots black powder says all the stuff about not using a measure like a Uniflow because it wil blow up is hog wash. This guy is in his 60's and is a champion shooter. i being on the cautious side am still using the long brass tube with a wooden funnel on the top. i wish i knew he was right...Dick

Dick,

If your amigo is wrong, it won't take but one accident to really mess him up. I weight each charge, and use a drop tube. The drop tube is to help settle the powder so more will fit in the case.

Doc Hudson

I'm with Doc on this. I use a drop tube also. Thats part of the mistique of BPMC. Hell, if you wanted fast you'd shoot smokeless that you could load on a progressive press, wouldn't need to clean btwn shots, nor immediatly after. But then again you wouldn't have that lovely smell and cloud of smoke either. :D

Back