Black Powder Kits

OldScout

Back in the 70's I was deep into black powder guns. I made my guns from Dixie Gun Works kits, both rifles and handguns. I even had my kids shooting them. But things change and my Black Powder days are long gone. I recently looked at some kits from Dixie Gun Works, thinking I might get back into it again as I am retired and it would be a good hobby. I was buying kits back then for $50 to $75 in the 70's. Now those same kits are in the hundreds of dollars. So much for that

How well, I remember

I was buying kits back then for $50 to $75 in the 70's. Now those same kits are in the hundreds of dollars. So much for that
You got that right and the last kit I put together, cost me $285.00. Now I just enjoy restoring them, shooting and teaching. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

The price difference between a kit and a complete gun makes it hard to buy one. I've not built a kit nor do I have the tools so the cost would go through the roof. I've often been curious about trying my hand at one but without any experience at all and a lack of wood working tools that specific would keep me just buying them finished.

I was buying kits back then for $50 to $75 in the 70's. Now those same kits are in the hundreds of dollars. So much for that

Considering that the value of $1 in 1975 is equivalent to $4.65 today, the kits today cost less than they did in the 1970's. ;)

Now those same kits are few and far between. CVA, for one, quit making 'em years ago.
"...in the 70's..." Pay scales were a lot lower too. Minimum wage in Illinois was $1.40 per hour from 1972ish until 1976 when it rocketed to $2.10 per hour. Mind you, you weren't pay $2 plus a gallon for gas then either.
And government wasn't interfering with everybody's lives as much then.

My first kit was a Spanish made, Maxwell Arms imported 45 cal "long rifle." Barrel is only 33" long and like most Spanish kits, had a two piece stock with the forearm being separated from the stock by a huge piece of brass. Years later I removed the brass, soldered a rib beneath the barrel and poured a pewter nose cap. Still the position of the ram rod was way too low so there's a huge gap between where the thimbles set and the entry hole.

I bought the kit in the late '80s for $45. Back around that time I bought a used Python for $499 and a used Diamondback for $299. Adjusted for inflation terms, either a Python or Diamondback far exceed what an equally adjusted $45 could buy. Some things go up, others not so fast.

BTW, good kits are about $800 plus; depending on the quality of the wood you want.

In my time in black powder I've learned something. There are two kinds of BP people: those that do kits, and those that get recommended kits. It's a "kitsman's game" as it were.

In my time in black powder I've learned something. There are two kinds of BP people: those that do kits, and those that get recommended kits. It's a "kitsman's game" as it were.

Three kinds, those that don't do kits at all. I bought one of those CVA pistol kits around 78 and found out right quick I didn't have the skills for it. Still don't.

A kit is for people who like to do wood work. The other parts are fairly easy to assemble. You do just about as much taking a pre-assembled one apart to clean the darn thing.

Considering that the value of $1 in 1975 is equivalent to $4.65 today, the kits today cost less than they did in the 1970's. ;)
Back when I was making blackpowder kits, I was a Mfg Supervisor at Cat making good money. Now I am 80 yrs old and on a very tight income. No way can I pay the prices today.

Times they are achanging !!!!

I'm kinda surprised I cant find any cap & ball kits --- at all --
Not too many years back, you would see racks of Sidelocks and kits at Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse and other sporting goods store. Two years ago, I went to a big Cabela's and the rack was full of MML's. The only Sidelock was a Traditions kit, on the shelf and it was on clearance. However, you can still buy them on the internet ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

I had the same problem, rather than looking for a new kit I ended up finding an 'assembled' kit rifle to rebuild. Whoever built it painted the barrel and brass fittings, perhaps just wanting a utility hunting rifle. It was ugly as heck and I got it cheap. I found it on proxibid.com

I'm a little late to this party - but I well remember those kits that Dixie sold back in the 60s and 70s. As already mentioned, yes the prices were a lot cheaper but you weren't making as much per hour either. Add on top of it all the lawyers and liability that goes with it today and it's no wonder the prices re higher.

I still have a full length maple stock blank that I bough from Dixie about 1964 - they were on sale at the time and I actually bought three of them - they were $2.00 each on sale. Today, they'd be much higher.

Yep, kits aren't cheap either and most are fairly happy IMHO. But there are still a lot of good used shootable mule loaders out thee if you take the time to look and if you look long enough, you'll run across something that is reasonable that will allow you to shoot. CVAs, etc.

And while we are on "nostalgia" of the past - whenI started shooting BP in the early 60s, Remington caps cost me 25 cents for a tin of 100 and a pound of DuPont BP was 75 cents. I doubt if you ae going to find either of those today at that price. :-)

I still have a full length maple stock blank that I bough from Dixie about 1964 - they were on sale at the time and I actually bought three of them - they were $2.00 each on sale. Today, they'd be much higher.

I remember in 72 or 73 Dixie had some full length tiger striped maple stock blanks they wanted 1000.00 for. I was like GEEZ!

Three kinds, those that don't do kits at all. I bought one of those CVA pistol kits around 78 and found out right quick I didn't have the skills for it. Still don't.
If you go snooping the black powder boards, you'll get urged to make and do kits all the time. Really, a HUGE part of the muzzleloading community (at least the traditional kind) is in to kits and it's a point of pride for many. Heck, some seem to like making the kits more than getting out and shooting!

I am like you and have found kits aren't for me. I'm a shooter, I am not a carpenter/metalworker etc. etc. Leave me alone and stop telling me that the only way I'll enjoy muzzleloading and get any satisfaction from shooting is if I build each and every BP gun I buy. I just don't believe it!

If you go snooping the black powder boards, you'll get urged to make and do kits all the time. Really, a HUGE part of the muzzleloading community (at least the traditional kind) is in to kits and it's a point of pride for many. Heck, some seem to like making the kits more than getting out and shooting!

I'm on a few, had my own for awhile and admin for two so I know what you mean. Some people do it and are good at it. A few do it and are great at it. Give me a chunk of nice wood and I'll make sawdust and splinters out of it.

Back