Black Powder Accessories - Not So Very Handy to Have!

Pahoo

Did not want to hi-jack Dennis's post on handy accessories so thought I'd start one on some that are not as handy. Let's keep in mind that this is only our opinion and perhaps there are no bad answers. I never question a man's loading technique and tools, unless there are safety concerns. .... :)

I'll start;
Perhaps I don't understand their use completely but have little to no use for them. I'm refering to "scrappers". I have them but seldom pay them much attention. So many times, I see posts and replies about recommended accessories and these are never listed. ..... :confused:

LBC and;
Be Safe !!!

I assume you are talking about breech face scrapers? I think they are important.

Now I can see how perhaps cleaning with a bore mop might negate the need for it, as it might adequately clean the breech face by itself, but definitely with just using patches you will often not clean the breech face.

Over time, this can result in a buildup of carbon deposits on the face of the breech. During periods of intense firing, this deposit is said to be able to start to glow, causing a cookoff during loading of the next round.

I use a breech scraper during cleaning. Sometimes it brings up nothing, but frequently it brings up quite a bit of crusty goo from the breech face. But I use patches to clean with.

Steve

I often wondered if I needed one, and used a bronze brush and patches until I got a bore mop.

That might make sense (red hot breech and cook off) as I've read a couple of threads where it an odd event of this happening without a good identifier that made sense.

The effectiveness of the breech face scraper depends on how smooth the breech plug was machined. If it's crudely machined, you're wasting your time. You're better off having the plug pulled every ten plus years for thorough cleaning.

I pulled a plug on a rifle that was built over forty years ago. It came out very nice. Hardly any cleaning needed.

A properly shaped scraper can do a lot of good with breechplugs such as TC or Lyman use that have a powder chamber recessed into the plug. I normally take an oversized patch in a slotted tip and wrap the patch over the tip. Using this really wet you can scrub into the powder chamber or clean the front of the breech plug. I've seen a number of TC rifles that have major misfire problems because the owners haven't properly cleaned this area and allowed a buildup of residue there.

Not even close

A properly shaped scraper can do a lot of good with breechplugs such as TC or Lyman use that have a powder chamber recessed into the plug.
Excellent point and how do you know you have a properly shaped scraper. Some of mine are round and some are square. Neither one fits into the breech pocket of my M/L's. The rub marks on my round show that I'm not getting into the pocket. Then, I have yet to run into a breech plug that has a square face.I do have brushes that form and fit into the pocket very nicely. I follow up with a setup much like what Stony has mentioned. As you, I have inherited many orphan SideLocks that were not properly maintained and each has their share of problems and remedies. .. ;)

Are there any accessories that Y'all find to be a waste of time? .... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

How does one know their mop is getting in there? Recalling how my first bronze brush eventually looked it appears as though that chamber might be about .40 cal in my .50 cal Lyman barrel.

Every time I run a Ballistol patch down there it comes back orange-redish for a couple of strokes. But then I messed it up not cleaning after shooting Pyrodex one evening as I wrongfully took the advice of some who mentioned cowboys shoots and cleaning next week with no ill-effects.

I've been wanting a 28 ga barrel for it and this one may very well become it, though it still shoots just fine.

For me a Scraper is a tool seldom used also. Only once on some others rifle has mine been used showing good results from its use. (for a pyrodex user)

A couple years back. To cold to have the water turn on in my cabin late one Fall for B/P deer season.
Thinking ahead while at home just prior to my trip up too the cabin. I bought a plastic drain tube that connects via the nipples threading so to suck water out of a pail or coffee container. {intended for plunging water in and out of a barrel during its cleaning.} That plastic tube and its nipple adapter was the most dangerous and worst idea I ever seen. Plastic Tube flip-flopping in and out of the coffee can when in use. Hot soapy water squirting over the cabins kitchen floor. Disgusted with the goofy thing. I got up to throw the nasty tube thingy into the kitchen sink. Oops!! down I went.~ I even spilled my Crown Royal~ trying to walk that 6 ft to the kitchen sink. Ended up on my knees. Neighbor broke into a hearty laugh sitting at the kitchen table. Upon his effort to help this old geezer up he the only other old geezer around at the time hit the deck also. But on his back. :eek: {Not so funny then.}
Never used that silly tool there after. Still hanging in a birch tree just pass the cabins back door as a reminder. "A old fool and his money will soon part company if he's not careful with his purchases."

If you find someone with a breechplug out of a rifle like yours, you can easily take a flat scraper and reshape it to fit the recess. I have done this and it only takes a few minutes. You can also find a small brush (maybe 1/4) inch across that is built just for this purpose and screws into the bottom of your ramrod or cleaning rod. The sloppy wet patch over a slotted tip has always worked very well for me though. I have a .62 flint smoothbore that has a flat breechface and a scraper works good with it. I need to keep the breechface really clean on this one as the flash hole is very close to it and misfires will occur with any buildup.
I use a really big sloppy patch to clean this one...

Stuck on Scrapers ???

If you find someone with a breechplug out of a rifle like yours
Well, no need to as you can make a soft cast of your breech plug "pocket" and get an accurate profile, not only of its shape, but size. ... :)

To clean this "Pocket" I use and old worn bronze brush of the original caliber and form a patch of 00 steel wool over the leading end. I slowly insert my range-rod down the bore till it comes to rest. I start turning my rod while pushing down lightly. I just work it in the pocket as needed. The steel wool will work and form, into the pocket. The bristles of the wire brush, will grasp the steel wool so it can be worked and retrieved. I then mop up the "mud" with patches or flush it out. It really brings up the crap especially on M/L's that had never been cleaned. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

I have a few items to add. Most are things that are either not necessary, or are more expensive, commercial products that can be replaced with home-made stuff or just easy fixes.

CO2 stuck ball extractors. Seem to me to be expensive gimmicks. Just use a ball puller, or if shooting percussion, then remove nipple and add a few grains of powder to blow the ball out.

Miracle Black Powder cleaning solvents. Most are largely water, and there is a myriad of perfectly good home recipes that cost next to nothing. Seems like you pay a lot of money for them, and the most effective ingredient in them is..... Water. Nearly free from the tap in your kitchen.

Pre-lubed patches. How about buying a yard of material from the fabric store and combining them with a home recipe of lubricant? Much cheaper, and far more satisfying.

In the same vein... Pre-cut cleaning patches. I cut old sheets, t-shirts etc. into patches. You've already paid for them and got your use out of them, might as well use them one last time.

Pre-lubed felt wads for cap n ball revolvers. I make my own, or use cornmeal. Cheap as chips.

I guess I have strayed a bit here, in that some of the things I listed are useful, but much cheaper and more satisfying to make on your own. If I can make it, I'd much rather do that than buy it.
Cheers,

I don't use wads for my revolver. Rancid farina is good enough and is cheaper.

I do have wads for the Whitworth. I have to take it out and try it because it's been years since I've shot it.

CO2 stuck ball extractors. Seem to me to be expensive gimmicks. Just use a ball puller, or if shooting percussion, then remove nipple and add a few grains of powder to blow the ball out.

I love mine. I had a dud load down the barrel once. Tried using a ball puller, what a waste of time. It just stripped out of the ball. Got the CO2 blaster, works like a charm.

I've had to use it a couple of time since. Way easier than any other method of clearing a squib.

Steve

Old dog, learning new tricks. ...

CO2 stuck ball extractors. Seem to me to be expensive gimmicks.
I also find mine to be of great service. For years I pulled and taught, how to pull projectiles and I was fine with that. There wasn't anything I couldn't pull.

Then one day, I was faced with removing a broken section of ramrod, tip and dry-ball. I used my new fangled Co2 pusher that I paid $10.00 for and pushed the whole thing out. Now I use it all the time, including the clearing of nipple vents. A new one runs about $25.00. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

c02 stuck ball removers are great. Just be sure it's not pointed at anything you don't want destroyed. My classmate had it pointed at a pot/plate that his mother in law gave his wife. She was not happy when he broke it. Better a plate or bowl than your spouse/kid/visitor or family cat or dog.

To be sure !!!

Just be sure it's not pointed at anything you don't want destroyed.
Oh yes indeed. One of the first stuck range-rods we encountered, was projected about 20yds, into a dirt mound. Came out with a distinct "Thunk". ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Pahoo - you should have cleared it at the archery range. One soldier of the 95th shot a Frenchman with his ramrod. He had no time to withdraw it so he just shot it into his opponent. He dropped his rifle and ran, came across his injured sergeant and took his rifle.

Back