Black my silver stainless steel fixed front sight?

wild cat mccane

Hello,

I am in the process of hand polishing my Taurus 66 4" (3rd M66 I polished-love the look). Once done, I'll be putting on target wood grips I picked up on ebay-the exact set but in a lighter color (https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...od+grips.TRS0&_nkw=taurus+wood+grips&_sacat=0).

For my final magic trick to make myself believe I really don't need to buy a S&W 686, I'd like to know if there is a way to make the silver stainless steel fixed front sight black? I know not much adheres to ss. Does not necessary need to be permanent-I might even try acrylic paint. Any suggestions?

Model paint or nail polish should work well. I've used nail polish on several if my stainless revolvers, so far it has held up very well.

Good Luck

Black oxide finish can be applied at room temperature, at moderate and high temperature. The process is to clean with a caustic material (Sodium Hydroxide) and treating with oxidizers and sulfur salts. Some processes use electro-chemical bonding while others use hot bath immersion. The higher temperature processes are permanent while the room temperature process is less resistant to wear.

The trick is to degrease (remove all oil) from the area you want to paint, FIRST. Model paint, fingernail polish, and Sharpie magic marker all work pretty well.

I like Sharpie, its cheap, drying time is nearly instant, multiple coats are quick, and its simple and easy to touch up.

For my M60,degreased with acetone masked off the little barrel rib and used over the counter black satin paint.
Did the entire front and rear sight groove, to tone down the reflection.

Howdy

When I used to shoot a pair of Stainless Vaqueros in CAS, I kept a black sharpie in my gun cart. A quick wipe of black on the rear face of the front sight before the match began would last me all day.

Thanks everyone. Still slowly Mother's polishing the M66, so I haven't gotten to this last touch.

So the sharpie is not permanent in any way? If so, that might be nice. Also considering acrylic paint that could be scratched off it I wanted later.

Sharpie can be easily removed later with acetone I believe non-acetone nail polish remover also works. Neither should harm your stainless.

Add my vote for black Sharpie, I always carry one or two in my shooting kit.
Easy on, easy to take off.

When I add black to a gun sight, I prefer flat black. The best flat black option I have found is Testor's model paint. The flat black paint is still not as flat as some of the black gun finishes, but it is less shiny than a sharpie marker.

When I want to add a bright color to a sight, then I often want a highly visible gloss finish. For bright glossy colors I have found nail polish to be satisfactory, but I still slightly prefer gloss model paints.

However, if you are still experimenting with different choices, then it is hard to beat a sharpie marker. It is very quick to apply, reasonably durable, and inexpensive. And as mentioned above, sharpie marker can be easily removed with rubbing alcohol.

Black Sharpie (as was mentioned above)

Make sure the sight is clean (degreased) Works great, will wear off if you practicing drawing from a holster...

I also use the sharpie to mark up the targets - multi-tasker

I use a Sharpie to cover up spots but like model paint or whiteout for front sight work. They make some really bright colors these days.

Back