Black chrome

ak9

Anybody doing this on pistols? Any advantages or disadvantages? Cost? How does it compare with black teflon?

There is a web site somewhere that advertises a black chrome finish. I will look for it and get back with you. I have been told that black chrome doesn't wear well. I don't know from personal experience. I would like a matte black chrome if I knew that it would wear as well as the regular hard chrome finish. Black-T will wear and show use after some time but will protect even then since the teflon permeates the metal.

AK9, I offer both in my shop. I don't do the chroming myself. I have an associate that does that. It's been my experience with the black chrome that it wears longer than teflon. I'm not sure about teflon permeating the metal. I've never heard it put that way before and the teflon finishes I know of are simply a coating that is baked on. You can e-mail me for details if you like. George

Here's one thread....

http://www.thefiringline.com/NonCGI/Forum8/HTML/000630.html

My research tells me black chrome doesn't wear nearly as well as hardchrome (unfortunately), but better than teflon finishes. The above thread is about TiNi...titanium nitride coatings, which some have used. The downside is that it has to be applied to betw 600-800 degrees F. Not sure what that does to heat-treated parts.

What about good ole parkerizing?

[This message has been edited by Covert Mission (edited February 25, 2000).]

Back