Black Bear Visit

BIGR

This black bear came by on Wednesday and Thursday night. He tore down a suet cake Wednesday night and Thursday night in the front yard, about 20 feet in front of the house. I did get a few pictures of him at my feeder above the house. What do you guys think that he weighs?

Attachments

• PICT0007.jpg
    PICT0007.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 215
  • PICT0011.jpg
    PICT0011.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 173
  • PICT0012.jpg
    PICT0012.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 168
Shot one about the same size last year.It had a 16.5'' head and was 312lbs.
They look pretty close to the same.Pretty nice little blackie.

It is really hard to say. Bears are hard to judge. I killed one a few years back that I would have sworn was 300+ when it fell. By the time I got it to the truck 5 hours later I was thinking closer to 400. It was 260. Still a decent GA bear. This one looks bigger than mine, but not by much. I'd make a guess of 300-350, but I could easily be off 100 lbs either way.

Yes most overestimate a bear's weight .I've seen a real 400 # bear up close [15 ' ] ,that's a lot of bear !! I would guess that bear in the photo was 300# max . They also put on lots of weight in the fall for hibernation .

Nice pictures! Noticed the Cat (I think) in the first picture then the bear sitting where it was in the second two. I hope you are not missing a pet.

Can't say I know how to judge size but he looks just like the ones we have on our place.........100% anoying!!

Nice pictures! Noticed the Cat (I think) in the first picture then the bear sitting where it was in the second two. I hope you are not missing a pet.

No cat, just one of probably 30 raccoons that roams around my place.

Just a few of them in this picture. As you can see they are not afraid of the small bear.

Attachments

• PICT0222.jpg
    PICT0222.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 101
  • PICT0434.jpg
    PICT0434.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 88
I think you should harvets some coon.

I counted 14 but but noticed that was a couple falls ago.

Neighbor has 6 cats living under her shed. I told her by fall there would probably be 18-20 and then what is she going to do. I have an idea to help out.

The bears are starting to poke around my house too. Time to get the rubber buck ready just in case. Actually word has it there's a big male tom lion hanging around the neighborhood so usually if you have one it keeps the other away. I remember two summers ago I had a big bear make rounds through my yard almost every night till all of a sudden he was nowhere to be found. After a few days I found a deer leg in my yard and my neighbor found the rest of the buck in his tree along with lion tracks. All of a sudden we missed our bear! So long as you have a bear around you usually are safe from lions. It seems people get too excited when judging a bears weight. Same with wolves. That bear looks 300 lbs tops.

The bear doesn't look that big in the photo with the several raccoons. Good bunch of pictures, by the way.

I will say, however, that a black bear, even a cub, can look pretty big when he's standing on his hind legs. And for whatever you hear about them being shy, they are rather intimidating, especially in threes.

Well it looks like ol black bear is going to hang out around the house.

Attachments

• PICT0043.jpg
    PICT0043.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 45
  • PICT0044.jpg
    PICT0044.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 39
  • PICT0045.jpg
    PICT0045.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 40
I'm thinking 300 -350, from the size of the ears looks like maybe 3 -4 years old. Of course, I could be out to lunch as my knowledge is all book learned, never seen one up close and personal like.:D

Sorry, Im thinking the bear is 250-300#. Bears have the same size ears from basically birth till death and that can make thier head's look larger or smaller dependning. That bear looks smaller. Still a nice bear if your hunting. Enjoy!!!!

Back