Bitten by the handgun bug?

Kimio

I love just about any firearm, from just about every era. Be it an old Civil war black powder musket, to the latest plastic fantastic.

Lately though, I think I've been bitten by the handgun bug. I've go a sickness and it's quite bad it seems.

After trying my hand again at a 92FS and a Sig P226. I find mself gravitating over to other handguns just to see what else think I'd like.

Full sized CZ75'S to M1911's not to mention a plethora of revolvers.

Oh I'm sick, so very very sick :)

Anyone else afflicted by this (not so terrible) ailment?

It's a chronic sickness. Once you get it you never are cured. You might be able to get it under control but only during times of financial distress.

Reloading is just as if not more addicting.

I think they make pills for that. They are over the counter, come in various shapes and sizes... The key is to take as many as you can, load them into your most recent purchases and send them down range.

Just do your best to get familiar with shooting each handgun before buying a new one. If your looking for an excuse to slow down that is. Otherwise, go for it, nothing wrong with having one of everything, or even two of some things... If down the road you find yourself with two of everything, then you might want to come back and see us for a second opinion:)

Good comments. It's funny how some family and friends think you are strange or something, for liking guns.

I beg to differ. I see myself and the firearm bug coming to an end. It must be true since I just bought a S&W AR Model M&P 15 Sport. I thought I would never buy a plastic black rifle. :confused: & :)

Nooooo I'm not that sick. I bought only one of them this week, picked it up today. It's a Para Expert .45.
On the other hand, the week isn't over yet.....:D

Yes I have suffered from it horribly these past 18 months. I was fiending terribly for a Glock 20 and I finally got one for Christmas this year:D. And even though I have one I still find myself craving to be around when i'm not, hope the wife doesn't get jealous;). But yes it is a serious and legit bug that effects me too.

I got it bad in feb '12 with my first handgun purchases... (A two-fer)...

A Ruger SR22 .22 cal 10+1 semi auto and
a Taurus 627 .357 mag 7-shot revolver w/6.5" ported barrel

After that I bought 2 per month for 24 straight months... Yikes!

I was shooting 3-4 times a week (two ranges within two miles) and was also selling a few that I bought that didn't suit me or of which I grew annoyed, weary or bored with.. Or to raise funds for next purchase

I bought many milsurps during that period... P64, Nagant, zastava, Mauser and others and many modern guns. I learned what calibers shapes and sizes I liked and what features I enjoyed

It's been a wild two years but I've slowed a "bit" and now have about 1/2 of all that I've purchased... And I've started to reload and really love that too

Thanks to all on forums like these who have taught me so much.. About safety (eg load one, skip one, load four on my cowboy gun with firing pin on hammer) and about firearm history, design, concealed carry, etc

I've also repaired and enhanced a few guns along the way and am having a ball!

So far, just the German bug, in the PPK style. Mt first handgun was acquired two years ago: Sauer 38H, then Sig 232, Mauser Hsc, now a "German" PPK in .380.

But what is not at all clear to me is where to find an affordable defensive shooting school in west TN.
Who ever got mugged/carjacked by an immobile piece of target paper at about fifteen to twenty feet?

After a realistic course using various tactics, the handgun bug might really infect me. The LEOs at the Shelby Farms gun range (by the prisons) will know.

Last edited:
For me the intensity comes and goes. I bought a bunch of them in my late 20's, not as many in my 30's, a whole bunch in my mid an late 40's. I won an auction on another just yesterday.

About three years ago I messed up and found Hickok45's Youtube channel.

Up to that point I was only really a long gun fan. Watching that guy ringing steel at 200 yards was all it took

Man, he has cost me a lot of money. :)

Back