Bisley grip frame conversion

12gaugesage

Inactive
Hi all, just wondering if anyone knew anything about converting a standard Colt grip frame to the Bisley style. Can this be done? I'd like to do it to a cap & ball revolver if possible. I will probably just buy the bisley backstrap and TG, any insights?
Thanks

I think the grip frame will swap out from a 73 but I think using the original hammer will be a stretch. Bisley hammer spurs are lower. You might could have yours bent.

So could a bisley frame fit/be made to fit a 61 Navy or maybe a 49 pocket?

I know its kind of an odd thing, but I just want to build something unique, and I think a 5.5" 1849 converted with a Bisley frame might end up being a pretty sweet little shooter. Not many peoples cup of tea I'm sure, and certainly not period correct but kind of neat IMO.

If I could get the frame to fit with not too much trouble I'd then have to figure out something with the hammer...

If it's the same size as the army probably. The original Navies were smaller frames but I think all the repro navies are the same size as the armies. 49 pocket? Nah.

I don't see why not. Although the Bisley grip frame with a percussion hammer might have a weird feel to it. Having to reach so high for the hammer when your grip is so low.

I just bought a new Uberti Bisley .44Spl. Took off the grip frame to see if it would fit other guns and it will not. The Bisley's receiver is deeper at the rear, below the hammer. The Bisley grip frame would overhang at least a quarter inch on any other gun. So no, it's not possible to install the Bisley grip frame on anything else.

Back