Bird Dogs

ChrisR246

I am curious to here anyone's stories about their bird dogs.

My dad is on his second English Springer Spaniel - Jake. A pretty good dog. He works kind of slow, but does great on birds sitting tight and wounded birds. He's kind of sensitve though. If you get mad at him he wont hunt for you.

After he has ranged too far my dad will put him on the lead for a few minutes. Once he gets off the lead he wont hunt for my dad for up to a half hour - he will come across and work with who ever is furthest from my dad.

On one occassion I knocked down a pheasant and he retrieved the wounded bird and started brigning it back. He got about half way to me and laid down. I called and called for him to come but he wouldn't budge. He finally got this f*** you expression on his face and let the bird go. The bird started walking away and I had to chase it down. These stories are funny now, but weren't then.

Guess no one has good hunting dog stories. Or else everyone is out hunting.

My dog is a "home defense dog", not a hunting dog. She's an Akita. Nonetheless, she has killed 3 squirrels and a duck in our back yard so far this season.

I have never seen a dog kill a squirrel before. The squirrels deliberately taunt the dog (which I have seen before). And she frequently chases the squirrels. Misses every time I've been there to see.

Somehow, though, the dog is either fast enough to catch the squirrels, or she tricks the squirrels into getting too far from cover. Cuz she gets some of 'em.

Mayne she knocks 'em out of the tree. She's about 100lbs, but blindingly fast. So there's a lot of kinetic energy there...

And how in the world does a dog catch a duck?

Dogs and squirrels!!!

We have a terrier/poodle, and she's just a home dog. But terriers were breed to hunt and eat rats (ie squirrels:)) So in Washington there were these Fat, Grey squirrels that would be in our back yard atleast a couple times a day. They'd eat the grain that fell from the bird feeder.
This would get our dog really excited, and she'd jump and bark at the back door to be out. We'd let her out and she'd bolt to that squirrel like lightning, but it would always get up a tree. Pretty soon the squirrels would high-tail it if we even started to open the door. So, we started letting her out the front door, and she would run all the way around the house. The squirrel would be expecting her from the back door, and she'd come from the side. She did roll a few of them, but I don't really think she knew what to do once she caught up to them. She loved it though. Unfortunately, we have a fenced yard here and there aren't many squirrels. But even the word "squirrel" will get her hyper and looking around for it.:D

Dave - I guess everyone is out hunting with their dogs instead of stuck at work. I'll be out there Saturday though. Catching a duck doesn't surprise me - most dogs are pretty fast and good at grabbing a bird as it gets up off the ground. Ducks aren't particualrly fast taking off. I'll bet your Akita just tore that duck up, too - **cked up duck. :D

I've never seen a dog catch a squirrel, but I would think an Akita could just stun it with a paw.

BadMedicine - Its great watching a dog do what it was bred for.

Love those Brittanys

I've posted here before about my Brittany. Even though he has been gone now for several years I still enjoy looking back at the pictures. One of the areas my buddy and I hunted here in Ohio with our Brittanys was heavily hunted. My dog out hunted me on more that one occasion in this area. I know that sounds strange so let me explain. We would often walk a field that had been walked by hunters earlier in the day. A lot of them did not have dogs. This meant that they would walk right over sitting pheasants. They would also lose wounded birds too. In most cases the wounded bird would just sit tight and not flush or just run and not fly. Either way I would not shot at a bird on the ground because of the dogs.

My Brittany would lock up on the wounded bird. After a few minutes of waiting for the bird to flush I would give my dog the command to flush the bird. In he would go and come out with a bird that was none to happy. After bringing me the bird I have no doubt my dog was snickering. Dealing with a pissed off pheasant can hurt if you're not careful. Anyway, There has been a few hunting trips where the dog brought in more birds than I shot.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1254146&a=9273151&p=32297251

I've got a yellow lab that is a tripod with only one front leg. Sadie is a great hunter and can run as fast as she ever did since her accident but has had to make adjustments. When pheasant hunting last season she still flushes great but has a interesting way of running over the pheasant when after a wounded bird. She made me laugh when she squished a bird into the mud as she ran it over. Simple then for her to turn around and pick up the stunned and muddy bird. MWT

My dad always kept brittanys and they were a fine all around dog, would hunt for anybody. Just so they were hunting. When I started keeping setters, it was a different story. Dad would kill a bird and the dog would retrieve to me. All the hollering, pleading, and cajoling in the world won't get that dog to retrieve to him.
Hilarious.

Birdog 4- A guy we hunt with has a Springer like that - will only bring birds back to him. He likes to brag about how great and well trained his dog is, because it will only hunt/retrieve for him. So we let him carry them all - no matter how many times it happens he doesn't realize what's going on until he has 5 or 6 pheasants in his game bag and we are complaining at him to catch up. :D

Back