Bipod on Rem 700

Yes, I did. I went with a Harris. Since the photo the barrel has been cut to 20" and threaded. I now shoot it with a YHM Phantom suppressor.

2854412230088415409S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Depends. Varmint rifle, yes. Hunting rifle, probably not.

Harris is the benchmark.

What type of shooting do you do?

It's the 9-13 inch adjustable/swivel model. I really like it. I use the gun primarily as a bench gun and shooting prone out in the desert. We have a big group of long range guys here. Because of the use, I wasn't worried about weight or having to carry it out into the field.

I have two bipods that I swap back and forth as needed.
I sometimes put a Caldwell 6-9" swivel model on my SPS-V, but it is somewhat lighter built and doesn't feel as sturdy as my fixed Harris 11-25" model that I use in high grass.
All things considered, I prefer using a pack as a rest, with a rear bag under the toe of the stock. That makes for good shots if the grass is low and the terrain is cooperative.

What Emcon said. What type of shooting do you do??

I might get flamed for this, but Winchester makes a Harris knock-off that's sold at Wally World for $40- have three of them and they're rock solid.

I might get flamed for this, but Winchester makes a Harris knock-off that's sold at Wally World for $40- have three of them and they're rock solid.

I must have picked that damn bipod up at Wal Mart 10 times before I finally caved and bought it. It does seem to be fairly solid, but it differs from the Harris in a couple ways.

You lock the legs in place by twisting them. Could be a PITA on uneven ground. With the Harris, you have the locking wheel, and even with a non-swivel bipod, leveling the rifle is fairly easy. You adjust one side higher than it needs to be, then use the lock wheel like a brake. Loosen it a bit, and let the weight of the rifle push the leg until it is level. That would be a lot harder with the Winchester/Wal-Mart unit.

The other issue, is that the nut to tighten the bipod to the sling swivel is, for some reason a hex key. With the Harris it is a big standard screwdriver slot, I normally use a quarter. If you never move the bipod it really isn't an issue, but I move them around between rifles a bit, so it becomes a hassle.

Is it enough to justify the Harris costing twice as much? Up to you.

I don't own a bipod, but use a uni-pod for sitting shots. Shot a steel turkey at 285 yards late this afternoon with my .270 Win, just to check the first shot zero. It was!

Don't lie down to shoot much anymore; am getting a bit long in the tooth for getting down and dirty. From the bench, I use a benchrest front and rear sandbag.

JP

I've thought about a bipod on my Remington 700 but I shoot out of a blind and can rest on the window frame so really don't need it. If I roamed around it would be definitely an advantage. At least in open areas with no trees to lean against.

Bipod on a 700? Absolutely! You can't hurt anything; great for bench or prone and the best part is they're removable in about 15 seconds. :D Really got nothing to lose except $40-$100 depending on your flavor. This one's a Harris 6-9" swivel model; I added the little add-on lever to the locker so I can easily level the rifle. If I recall correctly, this one is the HBMRS. (Their model numbers might as well be in Chinese.. very confusing IMO)

C360_2011-08-07%25252017-23-23.jpg

I put a Harris on my 7mm Rem Mag Savage. I use it to hunt both whitetail (for short shots I live the bi-pod fold up) and antelope (for long shots, I'll extend the legs and shoot sitting.

Harris isn't the cheapest, but they are very well made and I'll never have to buy another one.

As for your gun, what type of shooting will you use it for? My Harris will adjust from any where from prone to sitting and suits my perfectly. No matter, Harris makes them to cover various heights.

I'll probably be doing mostly deer hunting, with a little varmint hunting thrown in there. The reason I was wondering about it is because when I try to shoot prone, it's kind of hard to hold the rifle steady. What does it take to mount the thing?

Please buy a Harris, they are the benchmark and are made in the USA. The cheaper knock offs are Chinese made, at least the ones I have looked at. Enough of our money and jobs are going over there.

I have two Harris's and they are excellent.

I have a few Harris bipods.. and a few knock off's I have collected from buying used guns... my question is... without a doubt Harris is GREAT... but is there anything BETTER? I see add's on tactical websites for all these different kinds of bipods... anyone have any experience with anything other than the traditional Harris/harris copy?

I have 2 a cheap rockmount and a Harris. The Rockmount I have is JUNK. I have had every nut on the thing come lose and I lost one of the leg nuts in the field.

Save your self money and buy a Harris. They are sturdy and built Ford Tough.

i use the Harris swivel mount 6" to 9" on my 700 in .308,,, works great for bench/ prone shooting... also have a Rockmount that i use on my 17hmr, craftsmanship on the Rockmount is not nearly as good as the Harris but it does the job on the little 17, but i think the .308 would rattle it apart

Attachments

• DSC_0370.jpg
    DSC_0370.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 16
Back