Binoculars

Turk

Getting ready for next months elk-hunting trip in Colorado and I need a new set of Binoculars.

What are your recommendations for this type of hunt 7x35, 7x42, 10x50 etc. I’ll be hunting in zone 68.

Thanks,

Turk

Binos are fine for close range and still hunts. But if you're looking at that next hill top or valley, spotting scope is essential. And depending on the terrain, one will be more important than the other.

I always take good care of my stuff and feel that glass in general is a long term commitment. Buy the most you can afford to get.

I have always bought cheaper binoculars, and I really hate big, heavy ones. I finally have become frustrated with the poor quality at dawn and dusk, so I was thinking about springing for some of the Zeiss Victory compacts (10X25) before next season. Cabela's lists them for $399. Anyone have any experience with them, or alternative suggestions in compacts? (Or tell me that compacts aren't worth it at any price, if necessary.) Thanks.

At low light conditions is when the bigger lenses have the advantage in light-gathering. During middle of day the compacts can be as good as the big ones.

i have a pair of 7x42 vivatar's with the camo finish i used for two years till i got my swarovski's. they worked great i'd let em go cheap if your interested. 187

Look very carefully at Pentax. I have the 8x56 DCF as the result of an impulse buy, and the 10x50 PCF that were given to me. Both have annoyingly low contrast, specially when the sun hits the objectives. I suspect poorly controlled internal reflections resulting from shiny black plastic interiors rather than matte finished or flocked. They work, I just suspect your money can be better spent.

FWIW, both my Pentax binoculars came in soft vinyl bags that offer very little protection. I have since bought Doskocil hard cases for both, but not before spending $60 to repair a broken tube on the 8x56 DCF. Also note that using handgun cases for binoculars can get you special attention from LEO's.

I've got a apir of 8x42 Pentax DCF WDs.

While extremely bright, I too have found that when staring directly into the sun they have annoyingly low contrast. Also, I have found the the soft sided case they came with failed to protect them when they fell out of my tractor and I ran over them. I'd suggest paying 3 to 4 times the price of the DCFs and possibly getting slightly better performance. Oh, and hopefully you'd get some that come with a hard case.

Right now you can find the 8x42 Pentax DCF WDs on ebay for about $240 after the $100 rebate they are now offering. But sadly, they still come with that soft sided case. If there's a better binocular on the market for under $250, I'd like to see it.

Have a set of 10x42's of Pentax DCF series - work well for me. Had a set of 8X42's previously, but my rancher friend cast covetous eyes at them and they now ride around on his pickup dash.

As I have been hunting for 40+ years , I have found that as I age my eyesight has naturally gotten worse. This is normal.

But I as a young man started out with inexpensive optics.

I finally ended up with Lica's .

I must own 8 binocoulars by now !

Paid $800 for the Lica's and probably $1200 for all the others !

My family uses the others but always reaches for the Lica's.

Save yourself the time , money & agrivation , get the Lica's and you'll NEVER regrett it !

just got back from elk hunting last week and I bought a compact nikon 10x 25 and like them. looking into the sun does have its draw backs.

was able to spot elk a good mile away and most likely several on occassions while glassing but after about 1000 yards it was hard to tell exactly what sex they were.

also kept my spotting scope behind the seat of the truck when I wanted a good look but love the compacts because the light weight really works for me.

Back