Binocular Scopes?

TXAZ

Other than weight and cost, I'm wondering why you don't see a binocular scope. It seems like depth perception and a greater field of view would enhance accuracy.
Any ideas?

definetly interesting to imagine, i could dig it, it would have to be realy far back on the stock, or at an angle so your chin isnt sitting on the reciever, maybe a dual LER could work

double the weight, double the cost, the extra scope barrel would dangle off the top of the rifle to snag on things and generally get in the way. the binocular scope would have to be canted severely so you could see through it while shouldering a rifle. this would require that the angle of the reticle could be adjusted to suit individual shooters. like regular binoculars, you would have to be able to adjust the width for different users. this would mean that the reticles would have to be independently adjustable, and you would have to align them separately buy exactly (or just have a reticle in one barrel).

other than range finding, I don't see how a binocular scope would help you hit a target... and they already have range finder scopes with fewer complicating factors.

binocular scopes

I am not sure what you mean by "binocular" scopes. Large binoculars/binocular telescopes....on the order of 20X100 or larger are readily available...quite common for astronomy, popular with comet hunters because both eyes are involved and posture relaxed because the instruments are tripod mounted.
Fujinon, Oberwerk, Kowa, Celestron....all manufacture binocular telescopes.
Pricey.
http://www.bigbinoculars.com/highlander.htm

Such scopes for a rifle would be impractical for the reasons mentioned earlier.
Rifles, by design, are one-eyed instruments.
Pete

None of those things would enhance accuracy. And the field of view would increase only the distance between the ocular lens' centers; less than a foot. The optical axis of both sides are parallel else images in both wouldn't coincide in our eyes. Interesting idea, though.

Last edited:
There was at least one attempt at a binocular type sight, or at least a monocular one, the Trilux SUIT.
It was disliked enormously for many reasons.
Weight, offset eyepiece giving rise to a need for an "offset zero", the internal prisms making range & windage adjustments an external "tilt & swivel of the whole optic" system & so on.
If a monocular was disliked I'd imagine a binocular would be loathed.
2005_0530campin050151_zpsc09c4a78.jpg

Back