Binocular out of whack...

Unkel Gilbey

Gents,

I have a Bushnell binocular, 10x50 Sportview Instafocus. Have had these for quite some time, and up until recently, they've given good service.

Lately, I've noticed that I now have two images whenever I look through the eyepieces. Adjusting the focus, and also the spacing between the two sides does nothing to fix this, and as you might imagine, this is quite disconserting!

The images are still crisp, and the focusing mechanism doesn't seem to have any problems within, so I am wondering if the frame might have gotten tweeked or twisted, or if there's a possible internal fault that is causeing this current problem.

To my knowledge, I haven't dropped the bino's, or really given them any harder thumps then you'd expect in carrying them around, so I'm a bit perplexed as to what would cause this.

So, does this sound like a terminal problem? Is it a factory fix? Or is this something that I could easily handle, such as tightening down a fastener, or something like that?

As always, I appreciate any input/insight that you can give!

Thanks,
Unkel Gilbey

They are out of columation. Either from frame tweek or a prism has gotten out of plumb. Some binocs have prism adjustment screws inside and some don't. Adjusting them can be a bear as you have to put em back together to see if you went the right way and the right amount. Unless you have some rather pricey columation equipment. I have done my own on high grade stuff and it was very time consuming. I have also re-tweeked a couple pairs of budget binocs and got them right enough.

good luck with em....Sam

Factory fix. Call Bushnell. They will probably tell you to send them in for recollimation.

I sent in an old pair of B&L 7x50 Navy glasses to them some years back as they were doing this work for B&Ls then. Good service and reasonable cost.

Back