Biggest black powder revolver caliber

I've read a fair amount about Civil War weapons, and I've never come across any revolver with a bigger bore than one or another variation on .44. If there was anything larger-- and I'm sure somebody somewhere tried it-- I'm confident it was very rare.

Among the .44s, reproduction makers claim the Rogers and Spencer was the most powerful. They also claim the Walker was most powerful. These claims are based on their powder capacity. However, I don't think the Walker served in the Civil War, and if it did, certainly not many of them did. (There were only about 1000 built in total in the first place, and they were old, had (mostly) seen a lot of use and abuse, and were considered obsolescent by the time the Civil War started.) And the Rogers and Spencer certainly never served in the war; the 5000 built were completed after the war ended.

The most powerful revolver in the Civil War was probably the Le Mat, at 63 caliber.. but it "cheated," because its 63 caliber was for its second barrel. This revolver had a 9-shot cylinder of .41 (I think) caliber with a smoothbore shotgun barrel, loaded with buckshot, down its center instead of a cylinder pin. So the LeMat would be much bigger caliber than standard for that one shot-- but a bit smaller, a bit less powerful, for the other nine.

Still one heck of an impressive weapon, though. Not exactly pocket-sized; it weighed four pounds or more.

Not sure about the biggest bore but the most powerful was the .44 Walker and remained so right up to the time they came out with the .357 mag.in 1935.
The walker was the start of the Dragoon line. They only made about a thousand to test and then got into full production as they progressed .It was being produced from 1850 to 1860. It was in the field and being tested in the late 1840's .

Walker was the biggest that I know of. It was made in 1847 so it times out ok for the Civil War. My standard load is 60 grns of Pyrodex under a nice 144 grn 454 ball.

Loads of fun and the ballistics are around 1200+/- for mine. I would rate that right up there with a weak 357mag load.

shot1.jpg

ps: its a blast to shoot. I have got to find some real black powder though!:)

1847 Walker Colt is the biggest black powder Revolver. Yes, it is only .44 caliber, but the chambers are deep and can hold a lot of gunpowder.

Plus the thing weighs so much you can always use it to pistol whip people to death. 4.5 pounds or something? I know I cannot hold it up for long with just one hand.

Back