Big rounds and small women

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctdonath

M'lady wants a handgun. I'm wondering if anyone has observed a maximum manageable/comfortable caliber & pistol for a 5'0" petite lady. She's primarily interested in something (> .22) for targets, and I want to ensure that it will provide a big enough hole should it be needed for defense.

I'm struck by the experience that a Glock 30 seemed to have less recoil than the G17 & G26, and wonder what .45 has the lowest recoil in a small package.

Thoughts?

When my wife wanted a handgun, I took her to the range, let her rent whatever she wanted, and aside from suggestions of what would be nice to try, I kept my big mouth shut. In turn, she decided for herself what worked for her and what didn't.

At least you guys have women who are interested in firearms. I'm still trying to get my wife to go to the range with me. She's more interested in scuba diving than in shooting.

Hey! Maybe I can get her interested in shooting if I buy her a speargun.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

My girlfriend is 5'0" and petite also. Of the bigger calibers (9mm, .40S&W, .45 Auto) she definately does the best with a 9mm. She is must more accurate with it, since the recoil and sound is easier for her to handle...

As for a small .45 with low recoil, the best is probably a Glock 30. Perhaps the newer G36 would also be similar - don't know since I haven't tried one yet...

Took my future bride target shooting for the first time with a 9mm. It scared her since it was her first time. It was all mental though and she had lots of preconceived ideas about KICK! That was my mistake starting her out w/that.

Next time, we shot 22 lr. out of revolver and semiauto. After a few shooting sessions of teaching firearms safety, handgun basics, and trying to come up w/fun targets, we moved up in caliber. I tried to keep targets close and keep it fun. It didn't take long for her to get to .45 ACP. Now she can outshoot me with anything we've tried so far. Recoil is not an issue anymore for this 98 pound lady that I have to hold onto on windy days.

One thing to keep in mind when shopping around is her figure in regards to conceiled carry. Since women are normally shaped differently from men, the dimensions and any sharp corners of the gun may have a different comfort level on you than on her with0 ITWB carry.

One thing that really helps in trying to decide are ranges and shops w/ranges that will allow you to rent used guns, as our friend here already said. Ask around and keep an eye open for times when shops may have representatives from gun manufacturers in to set up a display and offer to let you try out the latest at the range.

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

My wife is also fairly petite and when I introduced her to the wonderful world of handguns, her prime choice at the local gunstore was a full size USP .40 in stainless. She loved the way it felt in her hand along with the easy trigger pull in DA, she didn't like the PPK/S, P228 or any revolvers. First gun she fired was a borrowed PT99 loaded with Black Talons, I had to set up some phone books as she was fascinated to see what damage a talon could cause. The 9mm didn't bother her much, recoil was not an issue but bang was, she soon got used to it however. I shot 9BP's, UMC FMJ's and Black Talons that day through multiple phone books and photographed the results, the "exit wounds" were incredible in a side to side comparison and certainly sold my wife on the concept of using JHP's to defend herself. She still doesn't shoot much or carry, but is sold on shooting larger framed autos, for the record, the holes ripped by the Black Talons were MUCH bigger than the other 2 "control" rounds, one of which as mentioned was the excellent 9BP. When I get a scanner I'll post them.

------------------
Mike H

My wife is 5'2" and weighs 105 lbs. (on her better days). I suggest the following for you to do:
Let your wife try out small to large calibers
like a .22 then a .32, .380, 9mm, .40 s&w, and if she can handle it, a .45.
Borderline for me, based on my wife's preference, is a .380 to a .40 s&w.
I am surprised about the G30 having less recoil than the G26 since my wife and I have one G26 and it shoots pretty darn good.
My wife has a PPK/S, G26, and will probably be buying ( as soon as I can pay my debts to her), either a Beretta Cheetah 84 (.380, 10rds) or a Sig Sauer P239 (9mm, 8 rounds).
She loves the idea of safeties so I get her saf-t-blok for guns which don't have any manual safeties.
Hey DAL my wife and I shoot AND dive as well.
Why don't you bargain with your wife that you'll learn to dive while she learns how to shoot. Makes a good combination!

My wife is 4'11" and 85 lbs.

She wanted to learn how to shoot and tried all my handguns out, dry firing them first. She like the size and feel of the Kahr 9mm, but hated the trigger pull.

Seh opted for my Colt Delta Elite.

We trained with it, and yes, she fired it - full house 10mm loads - and fired it well.

There is one theory that you have to work them up to the higher power levels. My theory is you give them the gun the like the best, and let 'em shoot it. Women are not fragile like glass - they can shoot powerful handguns.

I wouldn't give her my beloved 10mm, so she went out and bought a Browning HP in .40 SW. I paid for some light customization.

She's a crack shot.

It's more important that she like the look and feel of the gun she's shooting, and that she practice with it.

It's funny, I've taught nearly 20 women how to shoot now, and most of them like the feel of the 1911 pattern guns the best - and since I only own a 10mm in this pattern, they all learned to shoot with this caliber.

They can do it!

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tomas (edited November 10, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back