"Big" guns to the range!

Prof Young

Today I took the "big" guns to the range. I use quotes on "big" because I know there are many handguns much bigger. (I've owned two 44 mags.)

On the left is the new Glock P80 reproduction. 9mm, and I can't hit squat with it . . . at least not yet. Grip is a touch big for my hands and it's a bit slick. Double stack, 17 rounds. Have ordered a wrap around grip and we'll see if that helps.

Middle is Ruger GP 100 in 357, six shot version. Love that thing. It's my shoulder holster back up gun when deer hunting. I'm more accurate with it out to 20 yards than any other big gun I've shot.

On the right is Rock Island 1911, 45. After market rubber and wood grips, plus ported barrel extension. Just a lot of fun to shoot and I can usually hit pretty close to what I aim at, at least out to 15 yards. Single stack (duh) eight rounds.

I know someone who looks at the pic below will think I'm crazy to have all these guns and all this ammo on the range table at the same time. I'd think that too, but none of the mags are interchangeable nor is any of the ammo. Impossible to put the wrong ammo in the wrong gun. (Well, I suppose the 9mm would fit in the chambers of the 357, but you'd really have to be not thinking to do that.)

Had a good time shooting and as it was mid-day, mid-week plus cold and snowy outside I had the place to myself.

Life is good
Prof Young

Attachments

• big guns.jpg
    big guns.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 118
I always brought few guns like this to the range, only thing is I don't have a 44 magnum.

Last edited:
Alan - I meant past tense . . .

Alan - "I've owned two 44 mags." Well I could have been more clear. I used to own two. I had the Taurus Raging Bull and a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I had scopes on both, and killed a couple whitetail with the Taurus. Then I made a bad shot at a deer, pretty sure I wounded it, but no blood trail and hours of searching and no deer kind of put me off the 44 mag. Sold the Taurus. Then I saw the Blackhawk in the case a the LGS and it called my name. Put a scope on it but never shot it well enough that I felt like I'd hunt with it. Enjoyed shooting it some and then sold it off to move on to other fun guns.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Back