Big bore snub gun in .44 or .45

cnemeth

I'm considering several different guns for CCW, and a big bore snub is appealing.
Would .44 spl or .45 Colt be the better choice in a CCW revolver, like the Taurus Ti?

Thanks
Chris Nemeth

Assuming the size and shot capacity of the two guns were the same, I'd get a .45LC. The larger case volume means lower pressure for the same energy level.

The Winchester Silvertip in .45LC is modest pressure, quite effective. If I could handle the extra kick, Cor-Bon has a .45LC in their "self defense line" that is NOT a "+P Ruger Only" monstrosity :).

But there's good loads in .44Spl too. If I found a good .44Spl gun I wanted, I'd buy it.

In both cases, various makers sell "Cowboy loads" that are ideal for stress-free target work and plinking. Accurate enough for small game, and wouldn't screw up a Rabbit too bad :). They're plain lead round nose, pulling between 700 and 800fps, less in a snubbie. NOT for defense though!

It'd pretty much be six of one, half-dozen of the other. Ballistics of the newer defense loads in both calibers are pretty similar, as are those for their older loadings like the Silvertip. For years I've carried a .44 Special as a purse gun, loaded with either Federal 200gr LSWC-HP or 200gr Silvertips.

my first choice would be the .44, i have found the smith 696 very handy, accurate and controlable with the blazer 200gr gold dot jhp.

i also feel the .44 is more reliable because the larger rim reduces the chance of the ejector star catching a rim under it during ejection.

if you like the .45 calibre better, my second choice would be a .45 acp wheelgun

If you are cost-conscious, the Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 special is back. 2" barrel, 5-shot, about $300 on the 'Net.

I'm curious about just what exactly qualifies as a "snub" in this catagory. I just picked up a M24 3", round butt (one of the Lou Horton speicals). Anyone out there think this quaifies as a "snub"?

Tamara,

Yea, that's what made me ask. I used to know a retired Federal officer who at one time carried a 3.5" M27 with the square butt Magana stocks. He called it a "snub nose" and I always thought he was nuts. Other than the round butt on this Lou Horton Special it is just about the same size as that old M27 was. Thinking of it as a "snub" made me feel like a hypocrite.

What ever you call it, this thing is kind of nice. I just can't imagine carrying it concealed down here in the desert except on the coldest days of the year (jacket wearing time).

By the way, didn't you just get a short barreled 629? That should qualify as a "snub" too.

the term snub or snubby comes from "snub-nosed revolver" meaning IIRC short "nosed"... so it only refers to the barrel lenght

now before you flood the board...yes i know that we commonly accept the term to refer to a small concealable gun and i'm not trying to talk down to anyone.

i just think it's important, especially over the internet, to try to avoid confusion in communication...i write it off to english being my second language ;)

Get an old S&W 625 in 44mag. :-)

But if I could only a 45lc or a 44spl... I would go with a Taurus 45lc. One of my friends has one of the titanium ones and it works great.

John

bfj2,

You obvioulsy mean an S&W M629, as the S&W M625 is a .45 revolver...NOT a .44 Magnum.

FWIW, the magazine 'Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement' recently had a very good article on the Taurus .44SPL/.45LC snubbies. BOTH rank as top-notch CCW weapons. IMO, get the one that has the easiest to obtain ammunition for it in your area.

I own a 3in Lew Horton 629 44 mag with the full underlug. With pachmayr grips, it is a fantastic snubby defensive and game dispatch sidearm. It has the unfluted cylinder, so teh weight absrobs 240gr recoil nicely. I do not waste time with teh 44 spl in it. I use a 296 AirTi for 44 Spl only. I think 44 Magnum revovlers are the way to go.

cnemeth

Big guns are harder to conceal; recommend 38/357 smaller gun for CCW.
Go to gun store, stuff different guns into waistband. Or buy more than one (best solution).

Your results may vary.

Thanks for the info guys, I decided to get a Taurus Ti in .44 spl. with the matt blue finish. I picked it up for $371. I really like it and can't wait to try it out.

By the way at http://www.natchezss.com/ they have a 30% off sale on CCI ammo. Blazer in .44 spl is available for $11.15.

Chris

I like WS2's thinkin...."buy more than one"

My .32 hand ejector six shooter fits well in ankle holster or cummerbund. At the other end of the spectrum, my Model 29 .44mag is a wonderous pocket gun. And in between, the Js, Ks and Ls all conceal well and seem to like me.

If you are going to carry a pocket gun, make or buy a holster that will keep the gun clear of pocket debris and retain it in a stable position. That way it will always be where it is supposed to be when you need it and won't have a dried frog's leg, chalk or sumpin in the barrel.

Sam.......hop in, I know a shortcut.

Back