big bore, ruger or smith?

bullfrog99

Where I live, the only preditors i'll run into are the 2-legged kind or maybe a wild dog or cyote. I want a big bore that I can use for an easy packing sidearm, and use for hunting deer, and was wondering what you guys think I should get, either a smith N frame perhaps a mountain gun or a ruger redhawk, more than likely cut to 4" and round butted. I don't really need the extra power the redhawk will give me for dropping whitetails but should I get it for the durability factor anyways? I practice only with light loads, so this doesn't seem to matter either, what's your opinion?

Go with the Ruger. It will be something your grandson's grandson will be able to look at and think of you long down the road. :)

For the uses you descibe I'd say get a S&W Mountain gun. The Rugers are wonderfully strong guns that you'll never wear out, but it's also heavy and if you really want a 4" you'll have to go to some trouble and expense to have it trimmed.

The S&W is more than strong enough for the kind of use you describe, and packing it around will be easier than the Ruger, even the few oz difference will feel like a lot after a long day of hiking.

Carried often, used little: S&W 629
Carried seldom, used Often: Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk
Carried often, used Often: Super Blackhawk

I pack a Bisley/Vaquero with a 5.5" Barrel that is smooth, light, and packs a wallup. It's the cheapest of any of the options and you'll NEVER wear it out. I've heard people say how much they needed double action and then gone to the range with them. EVERY SINGLE SWINGING D#@% cocked their DOUBLE-ACTIONS before they shot. Why not get the single action then? Fast reloads... BS. I've never had to reload my 44 in a hurry and if I did, it means that 6 rounds of 44 Magnum weren't enough to kill whatever it was and I should start RUNNING.

Having said all that, there is nothing wrong with the Smith if you want to spend twice as much or the Ruger DA's if you want twice as heavy a gun. The Smith is a PAIN to shoot. My first Mountain Gun experience was my last.

For what you describe, my choice would be a 3" S&W, either a Model 66 or a Model 629 ( both are Lew Horton's, both are accurate and reliable).

Ruger Blackhawk or the redhawk

I would have to agree with the many who said Ruger in either the Redhawk or the Blackhawk.
For the price and the reliability you just can't go wrong.
Hey the new software is nice. I still need the spell Checker .

Tony Z:)

>>>We Fear Change<<<

Thanks for the advice guys, i think i'll get a vaquero and later suplement it with a tracker or something.

Back