Big Bear!!!

Sorry, not me. Got an e-mail.

Check out the size of the paw in relation to the guy's head!!!
This bear was killed down on Hitchenbrook Island by an airman
stationed at Elmendorf.
The bear measured 12' 6" and was estimated at over 1600lbs.
The guy was walking to his hunting area and the bear stood up
only 35 yards away. The bear dropped down and went straight
for him. He emptied his gun and the bear fell 10 yards from him.

I have no other details about it.

YEP! like I have always maintained.

For Kodiak or Polar Bears go .458 Winchester Magnum!

.375 H&H would be a BIT light on that one.

Heavy Loaded 45/70 will get up to the .458 Mag level.

Yankytrash: I don't think many people eat bear. I got a black bear in Manitoba and offered to give the meat to my Indian guide. He just gave me a dirty look and said, "We don't eat it." I took home the two hindquarters and ate them, but it was a chore. I wound up cooking a roast for several hours, then shredding it up for Barbecue.

Elk meat, on the other hand, is great. The preferred methods for getting them out are by horse, ATV, truck, sled, or one of those two-wheeled cart contraptions. The hand-pulled sled works pretty good in snow or downhill. An option for the young and strong only is packing it out on your back.

CoyDog

"An option for the young and strong only is packing it out on your back."

Or too for the old(ish) & patient. ;)

If you hunt in a designated wilderness area (no motor vehicles or mechanical contraptions), don't have a horse, or, if it's just "back in the woods," you cut it up into pieces that you can carry, strap it to a pack frame & walk it out - piece-by-piece. Downhill IS preferable ....

I've heard that young black bears that have been feeding on good stuff (i.e., berries rather than garbage and insects) can make good eating. Not many eat brownies, though. They're taken for the hide, which alone can weigh hundreds of pounds.

Hinchinbrook Is. is near Montague Is., at the south end of Prince William Sound. I know the bears on Montague get really huge, but it's damn tough to get to them. No roads, no towns, no ferry service. As you can tell from the underbrush in that pick, it's not exactly tundra up here. Even moving unencumbered through those jungles can be a real chore. Packing out hundreds of pounds of wet hide is a job for a big crew.

Look at the website link where he's shooting at the bear. Notice how good the bear's natural camo is for that area. The ones I've run into hiking just tore off and vanished into the underbrush. Even the monsters like that one are built quite low to the ground and can shoot like torpedoes through the tunnels they've made in the underbrush. The devil's club doesn't even slow them down.

My home town

of Clayton, New Mexico has an annual wild game dinner (or at least used to when I was a munchkin) and we were served bear one year. It was pretty gamey and chewed like innertube.

Back