"big 5" of pistol hunting

S&W 24

I just finished an older book on shooting that included a pistol shooting section writen by Col. Jeff Cooper in wich he lists what he believes are 5 prime animals to be taken with a handgun wich are--

1) Russian boar (300 lbs +)
2) Gorilla
3) Roosevelt Elk
4) jaguar (250 lbs +)
5) salt water crocodile

granted this was writen in 1965 so I don't think that it would be
a good list to follow but what do think of it? What wold you think a good "big 5" would be ?

Interesting list. Some would require a high skill level in stalking; others would represent some danger if one's shooting skills were less than needed. :)

The inclusion of the gorilla, I believe, would have been due to the leftover hype from an earlier era, when they were believed to be ferocious killers.

Art

I was "attacked" by a 450 pound gorilla once (mock charge). They are unbelievably fast, it looked like 800 mph, but since there was no sonic boom, that was probably just my imagination. :) It stopped an armlength away (my arm, not his). Very impressive. Perhaps the greatest nature-experience of my life. But game animal? Definitely not.

The reason Col. Cooper listed the gorilla is because it would require getting very close and if you didn't connect the chances
of another shot are thin. Also he was attempting to list one animal per contintent.

An up to date worldwide list made up of animals I might actually get to hunt one day (thus my limitation to the North American continent) would go something like this:

1. Grizzly Bear (Kodiak)
2. Elk
3. Pronghorn antelope
4. 300 lb+ Russian Boar (yeah, I know - gotta visit a game ranch for that one...)
5. Mountain Lion by free stalking

Only the Grizzly and Boar offer real danger. Maybe the Mountain Lion in certain situations. The Lion without dogs and the others would just be difficult to extremely difficult to take with a handgun, IMO...

yorec, there are many locales with feral/Russian cross wild hogs. They're not just on game ranches. As for pure "Russian boars", those are probably pretty rare.

Mountain lion? Shame a neighbor of mine is afraid of guns. He had a lion hanging out under his mobile home for a few days. Cooler there than out in our summer heat.

Seems like every mountain around here has a resident mama lion, with the occasional handsome stranger visiting...

:), Art

Yep, those'd work too - I'm not picky abouthe species of my Pork!

The mountain lion without aid would be VERY tough with a handgun. By aids I mean dogs, bait, or ambushing the area you know one will visit. (neighbors chicken coop!) spot and stalking lions has gotta be the toughest hunt I can think of!

Back