Big .44 bullets

ZVP

Had the 5 1/2" Remington out today to check it and I found only 6 225 GR ( I think?) bullets I had stashed with it. WOW they are some BIG slugs compared to round balls!
I've only experimented with a few but they really pack a whollop!
I just charged 35 gr of Pyrodex, a Patch and cap to try em out.
I'm pretty sure my buddy cast these himself and I'm not sure which factory bullet you can shoot?
They bring a powerful revolver to ultra life!
I can see why some folks swear by Conicals.
ZVP

Put 24 rounds of Kaido 240s through mine (same as yours) recently and my hand still hurts! Forgot that the 35 grain spout was on the flask and apparently having to really push down on the Tower of Power's loading lever was still not enough to jar my memory. That new Olde Eynsford is some powerful BP! Usually shoot 30 grains with that conical. :rolleyes:

That's a lot of powder behind a big bullet.

The needle on the fun-meter jumps when touching off such a stout load.

I wouldn't want to feed mine a steady diet of that, but it is pretty amazing what these revolvers are truly capable of.

bullets

I do 190 and 195 grain custom semi was cutters in mine.
specially rebated to make easier loading.
The 190's are just tight enough they seem to do ok in the ROA also
Way more than enough for paper punching, water bottles
and even small game.
Doesn't hurt the hand and not as hard on the gun.

velocity squared divided by 7000 divided by 64.32 x bullet weight in grains

equals the impact force in ft pounds.

compare the above 190 195 to the 141 gr RB.

I checked with my buddy and his heavy bullet was cast and has a beveled base for easy loading. I forgot to ask the weight, (DUMB!)
I wonder what the paper bullet US Army spec's for the powder charge on their conical load was?
I remember reading what the .36 Cal paper bullet loads were (18gr Powder). Now I normally charge my .36 at 22 gr and it shoots great!
My 35 Gr powder charge when shooting .44 round balls feels good and stout and is most accurate in the revolver.
With my Remingtons, it seems that to get accuracy I need to charge heavy and use velocity to stabilize the balls.
Come to think of it, what's the minimum recommended powder charge in the Remington .44?
Remingtons sure are intresting revolvers!

Back