Bi- Forum aka forum identity crisis - pic link

Its a carbine.
Like that.

Cool kit that has recieved a lot of reviews here...
But we'll keep it in this forum as the reciever is a 1911.
;)

It's a Mech Tech carbine conversion unit (CCU). The basic unit is about $320. The walnut forearm and stock kit is about $65. Mine sits on a Kimber frame and I added Hogue grips because the Rosewood looked a little odd with the walnut. I just put a C-More scout sight on it today and hope to shoot it in a couple of days. Here's a link to Mech Tech. http://www.mechtechsys.com/

George: I tried to search for reviews here, but wasn't able to do so. How were they, in a nutshell?

Basically all good.
Those that have it - IIRC Rob, an Admin here got one.
I think I remember him reporting that it was very good.

The only complaint is the "Sproing" of that stock.
I looks like a clever fellow could fabricate a real stock for it... wood or even just metal that wont spring on you... like an Uzi stock... that would rock.

I saw this item at the gun show. Workmanship looked very nice, and the demo person was able to swap the 1911 frame in and out very quickly. Interesting device -- I wonder what muzzle velocity you gain with the longer barrel?

The MECH-TECH is a wonderful little play thing. I absolutely LOVE mine. I won't tell you where it is right now, but it's not far away. :D

The "sproing" is there, but they do have a nice Walnut stock filler for it that helps.

My favorite thing to do is.. let someone shoot it. The look of wonder and delight after ripping off a mag is just priceless. I think my local dealer should start giving me a commission. ;) I moved an EOD HALO to mine on Thursday so I needed to resight it. A lady I see at the range all the time stopped by to say Hi. She took one look at it and had to try it out. That grin was un-real. I know what SHE is getting for Christmas. :D

I put a Kimber Polymer under mine. Everyone sees it and says, "Wow. What a great idea." But, unless you just happen to have a Hi-cap .45 laying around, its not that big of a deal to have under the CCU. Think about it. Hi-Cap mags for those frames run anywhere from 80 to 120 bucks. That is to get 13 or 14 rounds in the frame. I can use a standard 1911 frame with 10 rounders just as easy. And for that same 100 bucks, I can get 5-10 round Shooting Star mags. 14 rounds.. or 50 with quick changes for the same money. :) I had this polymer that was the most un-reliable gun I had ever SEEN! But under the CCU, it has been flawless. I already had the hi-cap mags, so for me, it was a good fit. YMMV.

Bottome line, are they worth the $300 bucks? Oh YEAH! :D :D :D

Bubba

Back