BHP

ammo.crafter

What are the differences between the Browning Hi Powers? ie: various generations, etc.

I have a 30 year old two tone that functions perfectly.

What are the differences between the Browning Hi Powers? ie: various generations, etc.

I have a 30 year old two tone that functions perfectly.
There are some significant changes through the years:
1. Enlarged and ambi safety lever
2. Dovetailed, instead of integral, front sight
3. Cast, rather than forged, frame
4. The addition of a firing pin safety

All improvements, IMHO.

Larry

Extractor changed from an internal, 1911 type, to external, in 1961, IIRC.

During "the war", after the Nazis captured the Fabrique Nationale factory, guns continued to be churned out for their use, and after escaped Belgian engineers reached Canada with drawings and sample pistols, a factory was set up there, so HPs were used by all sides.
In fact, I think Canada is only now looking for a new pistol to replace their military HPs.

And, of course, Browning never made Hi-Powers; they were always made by FN, and guns destined for the U.S. market were imported by Browning.
For a while, in the '90s, Browning stopped importing them, and FN's U.S. operation took over, so you'll find FN-marked HPs in the U.S. from that period.

Originally they used forged frames. The mag safety was removed under Nazi occupation and then eventually added back. by the 90s the Mark III had the much more useful ambidextrous safety and taller white line sights. I read the frames were eventually cast because they held up better to the 40 cal chambering which also had a heavier slide and a barrel with a third lug. The Current FN Hi Power is not a Hi Power other than in name. Now the Springfield SA 35 has come out with no mag safety, better sights and good ambidextrous safty levers like the Mark III. I believe the Turkish guns are copies of the Mark III by the way they look while springfield is a variation.

Don't forget about clones! FEG (Hungary) and FM (Argentina). FEG clones have the magazine release slots cut lower on the magazine for some reason.

I want to forget about FEG. I had tried to work on the trigger and the parts were only hard on the outside. Crappy quality.

veprdude said:
Don't forget about clones! FEG (Hungary) and FM (Argentina).
Whether or not one remembers the clones (and you forgot the two Turkish clones), they don't belong in this thread. The opening question was:

ammo.crafter said:
What are the differences between the Browning Hi Powers?

The following is one of the best sources for information about the BHP, although the founder of the site was focused more on the function, rather than on the heritage/collection, aspects: https://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/index.html

The founder died 5+ years ago, but the site lives on.

Some of the key differences have been covered here. Cast is the norm on all post 1993 BHP MKIII models- in either caliber. The reasons were mentioned.

Prior to the MK III, the BHP had fixed front sights and drift-adjustable rear sights- unless it had a tangent rear sight instead.

The early ones had a slot in the rear of the frame to a stock to attach, but I don't recall when that ended [post WWII? During War?].

They were made in 9x19mm and 30luger, but the 30luger is not that common.

the 1911 forum dot com has a decently robust BHP sub-forum. It seems many of those with deep knowledge aren't there any more, and most of the posts are rehashing things that were hashed out 5-15 years earlier.

But, I may be biased. :rolleyes:

jmstr said:
The following is one of the best sources for information about the BHP, although the founder of the site was focused more on the function, rather than on the heritage/collection, aspects: https://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/index.html

The founder died 5+ years ago, but the site lives on.
Stephen A. Camp was exceptionally knowledgeable about Hi-Powers, and he was always willing to share what he knew. He was an active member of the M1911.org forum, and I corresponded with him a bit before he passed away. I believe the site is being kept alive by his widow, unless that has changed. I hope someone keeps it going, because it's invaluable.

jmstr said:
the 1911 forum dot com has a decently robust BHP sub-forum. It seems many of those with deep knowledge aren't there any more, and most of the posts are rehashing things that were hashed out 5-15 years earlier.
The M1911.org forum also has a discussion area for Hi-Powers. It hadn't seen much activity for quite some time, but the introduction of the Springfield P-35 seems to reawakened interest in the Hi-Power.

Even though I don't own one, I'll be looking for one later in the year and I have saved the Camp website for future reference.

Bill

In fact, Stephen Camp died in 2011 -- eleven years ago. Doesn't seem possible that so much time has gone by since we lost him.

Damn- I'm old.

I also had the privilege of talking to him once or twice before he passed. I even got one of his autographed manuals. Wow- it has been a long time.

I've bought/sold 3-4 BHPs since then. Now, I have 2 .40S&W BHPs, with 9mm conversion parts also- and a 1958-ish GP35 made for the Austrian land police or whatever that translates as.

That 50s one has an exceptional trigger. Don't know what they did back then, but- it is truly great.

I've had others tuned, and done tuning on more. None are as smooth/light as that 50s one.

The others are at a point that makes me happy though!

Back