BHP Parts

Hays

I should receive my AIM Hi-Power this week (MK III) and was planning to order some parts. If you can address any of my questions below, I would appreciate it. Thanks to all of you who have helped me thus far.

Sights: I think I've decided to go with Novak 3-dot Lo-Mounts for the rear sight. I may be overlooking Novak front sights in the Brownell's catalog, but if they are listed, I'm missing them. What do you recommend for a white dot front sight? I'm not even sure if the HP front sight is a dovetail or stake.

Springs. I plan to order a Wolf 18.5 recoil spring. Do you recommend variable power or standard? Also, I've read some posts were it is recommended that you replace all of the springs on the surplus guns. If so, what weight do you recommend for the hammer spring? I won't be shooting any hot loads, and will be asking my smith to tune the trigger pull to about 4 pounds. Are their other springs I might want to replace?

Action job. I read somewhere that if you have the magazine safety removed, the trigger is lighter, but mushier. If this is true, can a good smith make the trigger crisp?

Hammer: If I decide to add the C&S commander hammer (I like the looks), would I benefit from the C&S seer and/or C&S trigger? I read a post today on one of the Browning forums that said that the stock seer is almost the same as the C&S aftermarket one. My initial plan is to leave the stock trigger and seer in place, install the C&S hammer, and have the smith tune the trigger to crisp 4 pounds. Is there any reason he can't do this with the stock seer and trigger?

Safety: I will be replacing the small safety with one of these strong side only safeties: stock, C&S, and Novak. Which one of these do you prefer?

Sorry for the long post, but I would like to get these parts ordered this week. I appreciate your wisdom.

Might I recommend that you send it Kurt Wickman. He does great work with a fast turn around time.

Hello, Hays. I suggest that you go with the "standard" 18.5 recoil spring on your HP if you're planning to shoot warmer loads. The variable springs allow the bbl/slide to separate more easily than do the standards. At least that's what Wolff states about the springs. For hotter loads, use the standard or conventional recoil spring. Best.

The C&S sear is not the same as a factory one, if you replace the hammer get a new sear to go with it. Laughridge now has two models of hammers as well. Don't worry about changing the trigger unless you are like me and happen to like the wider surface on the face of the trigger, but I like Gold Cup width triggers on my 1911's as well.

Hays - I received a surplus Hi-Power from AIM last week. It was "select." The upper on the hi power is a MK II; it has little sights, a rib running the length of the middle of the slide and a small safety. The sights on mine are three white dots lie Trijicons but they do not glow and are very close to the top of the slide. They make the sights on a Mark III look high. Anyway they are right on. The trigger is about 5 pounds. The finish isn't horrible but does show wear. I was thinking of doing what you are proposing but have changed my mind after taking the high power to the range.

Back