BHP MKIII - how to replace trigger spring?

ATTICUS

I took the advice of the pro's here on TFL and removed the mag safety on my BHP practical. It did improve the trigger consideribly. Now I'm trying to replace the trigger spring with a wolf spring, but I can't figure out how to remove the old one. I tried to tap out what appears to be a pin holding it in but it won't budge. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello. I'll bet the pin you tapped was the right one, but they're often in very, very, very tight! If you do try to remove it, use a brass punch and hit the pointed end so that the flat end comes out first on the other side; this pin is tapered and if you try to drive it out by hitting the flat end of the pin and succeed, the fit will be loose from then on. When this pin's removed, you will see how to remove the few parts required. I have seen quite a few frames dinged up from this so you might consider having a 'smith do it.

Best and good luck.

Thanks Stephen. EDIT- I just re-read your reply and I think we may be talking about different pins. I have the trigger out of the pistol and I'm looking at the trigger spring and trigger only. There seems to be a small pin holding the spring to the trigger and I tried to tap it out from right to left but it feels like it's welded there. I definately don't want to break anything but it doesn't look like this should be this difficult. I looked at the schematic on the High Power site and it looks different from my practical. Did the trigger and spring change in the MKIII?

[Edited by ATTICUS on 04-12-2001 at 10:59 AM]

Hello, Atticus! Yes, I thought you were trying to get the trigger out. Man, I do not know if the trigger spring's attached in a different manner or not. It's been 15 or 20 years since I've had a trigger out that I just flat don't remember. I'm sorry.

Can anyone else help him?

Best.

Hello again, Atticus. I went over to http://www.fnhipower.com and finally found a schematic, but it was '69 vintage. All it showed was the common little pin on the foreward end of the trigger. It was also blurred. Could this pin possibly have a shoulder on one side or be staked, i.e.: appears to have a mark on it and the surrounding trigger? That's often done to hold pins in place.

If I learn anything useful, I'll post it here.

Best.

PS: You might jump over to http://www.fnhipower.com and post your question. You might do a search first as I recall some posts concerning changing out trigger springs.

Stephen & John: Thanks for your input. The current trigger spring is fine, I just thought that the Wolf spring might tighten it up a bit. I can live with it until I get it figured out. The improvement in the trigger from the removal of the mag safety will keep me happy for awhile. I'm just sorry I didn't do that a few years ago. Thanks!

I have a FEG Hi-Power clone, and I immediately removed the magazine disconnect, but that pin for the spring appears to be staked into place, so it might be difficult to remove. Of course, one solution is to pick up a new trigger and modify that... :)

Back