BHP for carry - C&L ok like 1911?

Warm Bore

Hello again,

Just wondering if any of you carry a BHP. If so do you carry it cocked & locked like your 1911's? I'm assuming this is the way you're supposed to carry it even though the Browning manual says not to.

Thanks for the info,

Warm Bore

Yes, it works just like a 1911 and is safe. The only problem is that the original Highpower safety is not a good design. Try drawing rapidly and wiping off the safety. If you have any trouble replace it with one of the drop in safties which are on the market.

Cylinder and Slide can modify the action so that sweeping off the safety cocks the hammer (I've never seen it, so I can't explain how it works). Many consider this an elegant solution in search of a problem, but if you worry about condition one carry it is an option.

Supposedly the system is reliable and high quality, and makes no permanent modifications to the gun.

Mike

I've been carrying a Hi-Power cocked and locked for awhile now. Haven't had any problems with the safety wiping off or hitting it during the draw; but what works for me may not work for you.

I'd say that the Hi-Power is safe to carry cocked and locked. You may want to do your own personal evaluation of how well the safety works for you.

The Browning manual copy smacks of "Litigation protection" rhetoric. CCW in condition one so long as you are comfortable wit it. A holster that covers and has an indent in it for the safety lever { Like some models by Wilson Combat}helps for piece of mind.

BHP cocked and locked

I've gotten the BHP bug recently, too -- mine is due from Kurt Wickmann any day now, and in the meantime I bought a second one to carry. Cocked and locked is the way to carry, and, like with the 1911, and aftermarket safety makes it 'feel' more secure. The old-style BHP safety leaves me cold, but the newer ambis aren't bad and the replacements are better.

Because of its relatively compact size (slimmer than most), good ergonomics and ready availability of full and hi-cap mags, the Hi Power makes a great concealed carry gun.

Mark
jmb@sarpedon.com

Carry gun: BHP Mk III, cocked and locked, in a Milt Sparks Versa-Max II holster.

Note that most firearms instructions today are written by lawyers. Some even imply guns should NEVER be loaded!

C&L it is...

Ok,

Thanks everyone. The Browning manual does seem to be wrought with legalize. I'm perfectly comfortable carrying my Kimber C&L so the Browning will ride the same way. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. The thumb safety on my MK-III is quite stiff and it doesn't appear that inadvertantly swiping it off will be a problem.

Thanks again,

Warm bore

Unlike the 1911, it's also possible to carry a BHP at half-cock with the manual safety on. On a gun as carefully designed as the BHP, I have to think that this was done intentionally. I even remember hearing an explanation for it once, but am darned if I can recall what the reason was. Can anybody fill in the blank? TIA.

Yes it is possible to...

Engage the safety with the hammer in the half cock position. The negative to this is that you have to both disengage the safety AND cock the hammer to bring the pistol to firing condition. In the heat of conflict, this may be asking too much. However, if you are just carrying the gun for plinking purposes, like when hiking to your favorite shooting spot, then I would think this is a safe way to carry. Any other opinions?

Pilot

Elector, over at http://www.fnhipower.com I believe someone found an old British manual of arms for the Hi-Power from WWII indicating that carrying at half-cock with the safety on was possibly an accepted method of carry.

However, as Pilot indicated it has several faults to it. I can't imagine why anyone would ever do it since condition one carry is faster and adds the fallback of the half-cock position should the safety somehow fail.

Elector:

Strongly recommend you tour and frequent http://www.fnhipower.com; great folks and great info there regarding all sorts of "stuff" regarding BHPs.

The system Coronach refers to is the SFS system. A search of the forums will reveal several posts about this. I have it on my BHPs and like it.

Regards,

Bob

If not cocked and locked, I prefer to carry my BHP cond III, w/ the hammer at half cock and the safery locked. It's easier and faster for me to sweep the safety and rack the slide than to do thumb acrobatics to run the hammer manually. I do this if I'm doing something like hiking where I think a lot of movement might disengage the safety, also if I toss it on the carseat , I've had a bad experience w/ a Cond III gun w/ an unlocked slide, if you hit the brakes or oyher sudden movements, said gun may go flying and cycle itself when it hits something. Then its cocked and unlocked and you don't control the muzzle. Leave it like this to if its lying about the house too( I live alone). On my person though, cocked and locked is the way to go. On the manual warning, bear in mind that the U.S. military frowned heavily upon C&L carry w/ the 1911 for nearly 80 years, its a rule for people that are not proficient w/ their weapons.

In addition to said above, the Mrk3 does have a firing pin safety, which supposed to provide you one more factor to carry c&l with peace in mind.
I used to carry it c&l in certain circumstances with no hesitation.

[Edited by ctrshot on 03-10-2001 at 05:51 AM]

Originally by Navy Joe:

..............SNIP........On the manual warning, bear in mind that the U.S. military frowned heavily upon C&L carry w/ the 1911 for nearly 80 years, its a rule for people that are not proficient w/ their weapons.

If I asked why you thought they did that, You would probably say to avoid training them to be proficient C & L. But what was the Army afraid of? It would have been easy to just teach them in one day not to put their finger in the trigger guard until they were on target.

I respectfully submit that the reason they told them condition 3 was because in Combat, seldom is the soldier required to quick draw his pistol. Almost universally, he has time to rack the slide in preparation. The rest of the time, he can acrry condition 3.

PigPen

Back