BHP Detective

FPrice

I just saw a new BHP Detective on my local gun dealer's wall. It has a heavy but rather nice trigger. What is the deal on these pistols, are they any good? Does anyone have any experience with them? Recommendations?

Thanks.

Frosty
MOLON LABE

Hello. I suspect that this is the FM (Argentine) pistol as they're the only ones I'm aware of who make such a cut-down version of the BHP. FM is licensed by FN to manufacture HPs. I know of one horror story concerning a slightly-used FM frame giving up the ghost and cracking, but that's it. I've shot several of them and they all worked fine. They were the full-sized guns, not the Detective. Finish was not so good as on the BHP, but then the price was lower, too.

Best.

Check this site and see if it is a FM Detective model.

http://www.cruffler.com/review-archive.html

Under Argentene Browning Hi Power Pistols. I have heard the same thing about one user having cracked frame rails after, I think he said about 5000 rounds. But then at the same time I have heard many good things about the pistol.

There are horror stories about every weapon on the market and I don't think there has been a pistol model ever manufactured that didn't have one specimen come out sub standard.

Finishes are typically military, but the guns are sound. I have an older model FM pistol that I'm currently modifying into a custom gun. This 9mm is the most accurate 9mm I have ever owned and has mild recoil due to the all steel weight.

If I'm not mistaken, the Detective model has the exact frame size as the larger models, just a shortened slide/barrel. They also come standard with 14 round magazines instead of the usual 13.

Good Shooting
RED

Thanks Redlg155!

Thanks for the website. It sure looks like the pistol I saw. I thought my dealer told me it was made in Portugal, not Argentina. Based on the article you referred me to, I am going back to the store today, examine this pistol in greater detail, and if it looks good again, I think I'm gonna get it.

I already have a 1977 BHP, plus a fair supply of 13 round mags so I will be ready to go.

Frosty
MOLON LABE

Well....

After a long talk with Bill at Cylinder & Slide (Loughridge? don't know how many Bills are there) I went back to my local dealer, looked at the gun some more, then put money down to hold it. I plan on putting about 200 or so rounds through it, then trying both SilverTips and Federal H-S to see which seems to shoot best, then send it off to C&S for a basic reliability package to include some good tritium sights.

It IS an Argentina-made pistol, I must have been mistaken when I thought it was from Portugal.

Thanks for all the help.

Frosty
MOLON LABE

Back