BFR revolver trigger work????

mark.e

Inactive
Hi there,

I have a BFR 45-70 revolver that I would like to lighten the trigger and smooth it out. I live in Australia so I can't send it to Magnum research to fix up the problem. I would like to know how to do the job myself as I have pulled it apart and what fun to put back together again. The trigger looks a bit complicated. Is there any schematic drawings of the inside and how to do a trigger job on it?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Mark.e:confused:

I would contact MR anyway. They may have repair representation in Australia that are gunsmiths who can do the work for you, or they may be able to help with a drawing. For liability reasons, most gun companies will not offer up how to lighten their triggers, though. If you are going to undertake that, it'll be up to you to examine the engagement and alter its angles and depth of engagement, as may be needed.

Most gunsmiths have fixtures to guide the stoning and smoothing of trigger group parts, though with a lot of patience an experienced smith can do it freehand. But it is skilled work. I know I went through three sears and two hammers learning trigger work. But since the BFR's are not ubiquitous like S&W and Colt and Ruger, it's harder to get either information or tools for working on them, and also harder to get replacement parts for any you booger up. So it may be that finding an experienced revolver smith is your best bet.

I think your right in contacting the suppliers here in Australia and I will do that and see what happens.
As for finding a smith to do the job I will have to find a smith whom I trust, we do have a few who think they know everything but actually have no idea and like to guess.
I do work on my own pistols, smoothing parts down and of course polishing which makes a huge difference.
I have taken the BFR trigger apart which is very fiddly to put back together again. Hence me trying to find easier ways.
I will contact BFR to find the Aust suppliers and go from there.
Thanks for all your help.

I forgot to add, earlier, that those two videos are not on the gun in question, but are the better ones on the subject of trigger jobs for revolvers.

I don't know if there are any out on doing a Colt action, which is essentially what the BFR is. Anyhow, to do it correctly, and stone the sear and notch, one ought to watch a video on the difference between positive and negative sear engagement, and how to go about correctly limiting creep.

One can make a jig, by measuring centers between the hammer and trigger screws, then drilling holes for the screws in a metal plate at that distance. You can use that to inspect the sear seating in the notch on the hammer.

Back