BFR: Hornady 325 gr Leverevolution not recommended?

The load leaves a lot of unburned powder in the bores of short-barreled firearms.
I don't know what Magnum Research uses for twist rate, but that might be a player as well.

Indeed @ 44AMP. Sent an email a couple of weeks ago, still waiting for a response from MR and Hornady. They are both swamped with business and orders, it’s not surprising they haven’t gotten back yet.

While the cylinder of the BFR might be long enough, perhaps other manufacturers revolvers come up short? Franken is probably on the right track as far as factory loaded ammo goes, the powder selection is for rifle barrels, and may not be efficient in 4 or 6 inch barrels. Although I don't know what Hornady uses for powder in their own loads. I have reloaded that bullet in 44 Magnum and 444 Marlin, using 2400 or H110 for 44 Magnum, and they work fine.

I suspect that the Hornady Leverevolution may be loaded to pressures higher than the 28,000 psi SAAMI maximum. I notice on Hornady's website that they specify "1895 Lever Action" for their .45-70 Leverevolution loadings and it seems to be loaded to somewhat higher velocities. The 325 gr FTX loading is advertised at 2050 fps while the 300 gr loadings from Federal, Winchester, and Remington (generally considered "trapdoor" level loadings) are advertised at 1850 fps, 1880 fps, and 1900 fps respectively. I do not know what pressure levels that Magnum Research says the BFR is safe for, but none the boutique ammo makers with have a recommended list of guns for their 45-70 "+P" ammo (Buffalo Bore, Underwood, and Garrett; Double Tap and Grizzly don't publish a list of guns) list the BFR or any other revolver among them.

It's probably for one of the following reasons...

• Lesser Performance
    Hornady Lever Revolution is designed specifically for carbines and thusly most likely uses slower burning powder which wouldn't achieve full ignition if fired from a Revolver, which could also potentially be a fire hazard if it sprays a lot of unburnt powder out the barrel and onto the range floor.
  • Case Length
    Hornady Lever Revolution uses shorter cases than usual in order to keep the OAL the same in spite of the rubber tip on the bullet. As a result, similarly to what happens if you fire .38 Special in a .357 Magnum Revolver, a ring of carbon can form in the cylinder just ahead of the case which will prevent .357 from fully fitting all the way into the cylinder. So if you go from shooting Lever Revolution ammo in your Revolver then attempt to load another brand of ammo with a standard case length, it might not fit inside the cylinder.
  • Higher Pressure Loads
    Being designed for carbines, Lever Revolution ammo may be loaded a bit hotter than standard pressure loads, which could potentially damage a Revolver if fired from one.

similarly to what happens if you fire .38 Special in a .357 Magnum Revolver, a ring of carbon can form in the cylinder just ahead of the case which will prevent .357 from fully fitting all the way into the cylinder.
Actually, the issue with 38 Specials in 357 Magnum chambers is not that the ammo will not fit into the chamber, it's that once fired it won't extract. That ridge of carbon where the end of the 38 Special case is slightly smaller than the chamber diameter, so it locks the longer 357 Magnum case in place once it is fired. Unfired, you can put 357s into that chamber and take them out no problem.

It has to do with bullet performance. Revolvers, especially with short-barrels, don't generate enough velocity for consistent expansion.

Back