Between Rossi/Marlin

A few years ago it would have definitely been a Marlin but since Remington has bought them it would probably be a toss up. If it was me I would look around for a nice used Marlin at least 6 years old, there are plenty of them out there. If you get one at least 6 years old you will be getting a original Marlin before they were bought out. Hope this helps.

+1 - have you considered the Henry .30-30 ?

henry_30-30.jpg

Here's the ChuckHawks review: http://www.chuckhawks.com/henry_30-30.htm

The Wal Mart in my area is currently selling the Rossi "Rio Grande" model, chambered in 30-30 for $397.00. I don't know how this price compares with what you have seen. It seems like a good buy to me.

I wouldn't take either of those as new. Look for a used Marlin 336, there are plenty out there in nice condition.

Of the two choices, I would take the Marlin.

But, if I had a little time on my hands, I would skip the new Marlin, too. I'd scour the used racks until a pre-2008 336 showed up in a condition and price range that I agreed with.

Variable quality with the Rossi and the wood stock is, well, wood. What kind you ask? Something from Brazil. Marlin is laminated birch; not even close to my first choice.

I'm with the others who said to find an older model pre-Remington.

Back