Better combat weapon?

Hello123

If you could only have one weapon for combat and your choices were a sks or a shotgun, which would you pick?

In real combat probrobly an SKS. The shotgun doesn't have the range. Self defense you want it the other way since thats mainly close range and you don't want wall penetrations and such but war is a completely different picture. The SKS has been used in various wars and battles successfully.

SKS. Lighter, handier, easier to reload, easier to carry more ammo, covers the gambit of reasonable combat ranges, most anyone can shoot it well enough without trouble. Shotguns are best left for hunting.

SKS--I COULD use an SKS close-quarters if I had to, but the shotgun is completely useless when range is a factor. I don't trust a slug's accuracy much over 75 yds.

Benelli M1 tactical 12ga. with magazine extension, pistol grip stock and ghost ring sights w/tritium inserts - mmmm, mmmm GOOD!!! :D

Those who plied the jungles of VietNam would argue for the shotgun (and how they would argue!!!!!!!).

In Afghanistan or Iraq, . . . the rifle would win out.

In the WW1 trenches, . . . the trench shot gun was thoroughly respected.

On Guadalcanal, . . . the rifle was superior.

It all depends on where one is, . . . but for most purposes in the type of conflict I would imagine I could get into, . . . my Beretta semi auto 12 gauge is my weapon of choice as a long gun, . . . 1911 for shorter purposes.

May God bless,
Dwight

How about a Drilling? Rifle and Shotgun combined. To bad nobody makes one in an auto/auto-loader :D

Personally I would take a shotgun with 00 and Breneke Slugs (or a good Sabot round). If I am alone, this will cover me inside of 100 yards. If with a squad, my SAW gunner can keep heads down (or take a few off if possible).

i would have to agree it depends on the terrain but i still wish everytime i get in the ring mount of my 5 ton that i had my old remmington 870 marine mag sitting next to my 249. the take down power alone nulifys any doubts about the magazine or tube capacity of a shotgun vs a30 rd mag of 7.62. since most of the times you actually have to use a weapon are under 100 to 75 yds. accuracy isnt to big of a problem.

I am assuming that in such a situation one would be out gunned as it was, and again this does depend on the terrain/situation as dwight mentioned, but I would go with the shotgun, and pick my battles, and avoid the enemy whenever possible

Sks....

As much as I respect the power and utility of the scattergun, the SKS is the more practical combat weapon. Including combat reloads, range, and general utility.

There is no other choice. SKS. Good thing we have other choices.

For "combat" I'd have to think that would be in a fair variety of situations.

Therefore, of the two options you provided, SKS is the better logical choice.

SKS. It will serve in a much wider range of scenarios. The SG is a fine combat weapon, but I think it is more of a special-purpose tool than the rifle.

A pretty clear Either/Or question.

Of the two choices provided, I would choose the SKS. "Combat" is the purpose specified, not self protection, home defense, hunting, nor law enforcement uses. There are rifles and carbines I prefer to the Simonov, but there are too many combat roles that cannot be adequately served by the scattergun.

Best,
Johnny

Back