better bearings for the main shaft of the dillon 1050?

Smokescreens

i cant understand why the tolerances are so loose on the 1050. i noticed play in the main shaft of my dillon 1050 so i got new bearings after i made sure the screw cap was tight first. got the new bearings in and was shockingly supprised at the fact the bearings are not a press fit into the frame and even have a fair ammount of slop to them. anyone know of a bearing that fits better than the factory ones? i dont want to go machining the frame but i might try to first making some delrin bushings in place of the bearings and end cap.

im really disappointed in how loose this press is. for 2 grand i would expect better.

i understand that. its got the potential to be a great press if only the ram was a tighter fit and the bearings on the bottom were tighter. its weird to see so much play everywhere. i have 2 650's and they are much tighter than this. not super tight but tighter.

Check with Dillon to be sure it isn't on purpose. Some presses have slop in places to allow dies and cases to self-align. The die slot in my Forster Co-ax press is an example, and it turns out very straight ammunition. Rigidly tight isn't always best. Whatever the case, Dillon will have a tolerance they should be able to describe for you to check.

totally understand engineered slop in some situations. im familiar with coax though havent had the pleasure of pulling the handle. the bearings im refering to are for the handles crankshaft and links to make the ram move up and down. in my humble opinion if its meant to be that loose dont bother with bearings and just use bushings. they would last longer and be cheaper. honestly if harbor freight was to copy this press it might be better, lol.

Smokescreens,

Ahh. Ok. My mind was on the wrong part of the machine. It sounds like what you want are sealed tapered roller bearings you can pre-load to some degree to get all the slop out. You might take a look at this outfit's page. I would contact them, since they seem very interested in improving on the Dillon design.

Also, did you read this thread in which the owner found the keyway in his crankshaft was too big, so Dillon replaced the crankshaft?

i ordered the indexing spring upgrade from them. still waiting on usps to deliver it though. with the covid-19 crap going on mail is taking forever, lol.

i did notice slop in what i figure is the key way on the shaft like the other guy but figured that was normal for dillon too. i seen fast and friendly brass makes those two links in a better grade of aluminum. im interested in those to see if they are tighter than the stock parts as well. i have not been lucky to find bearings that will fit the bore holes so i think i will order up some af or af100 delrin and turn bushings out of it to replace the bearings. af and af100 grade delrin is recommended as bearing material. af delrin has 13% teflon in it making it super slick and af100 delrin has 20% teflon in it. makes it more slick but a little softer than the regular af. still a bearing grade though.

it might be kevin. i would think its smoother at least with it being a big bearing for the linkage.

if i buy another dillon it would be the cp-2000. other than that our next vacation is in florida. i might take a 1/2 day of it and drive over to the mark 7 store and look at those 10 station beauty queens they make. see if its worth the money to drop $3k on a press.

Back