Best way to carry a 15 round spare magazine?

OhioGuy

I'm struggling to find a good way to carry a spare CZ magazine, mostly because the sharp corners of the base plate jab into me no matter where I carry it. My preferred position is AIWB.

The best I've found is a Alien Gear carrier with a neoprene pad, so it solves the discomfort but almost doubles the thickness of the magazine and isn't great for bulk or concealment.

My single stack is a Walther and the spare magazine is rounded off and doesn't bother me.

Any suggestions? Pocket carry is bulky. Off body means I'd never be able to pull off a speed reload in the event of a malfunction.

Struggling to come up with a solution.

I'm concerned much more about possible malfunction than needing extra bullets. If 15+1 doesn't cut it I'm probably screwed already :)

Have you looked at a different baseplate as an option?

I know I had that issue with my BHP when I carried it and after some searching I found out the polymer Beretta 92 baseplates fit. Ugly as sin, but more comfortable.

Prior to that I used electricians tape on the sharp corners.

But I OWB my mags, IWB I'd just use something with a sweat shield.

As they say you never know if you will need a spare mag but the highest capacity mag pistol I sometimes carry concealed has 16 round mags. With one in the pipe that gives me 17 rounds in a pistol that has never malfunctioned....I'm not going to concern myself with an extra mag.

But thats for "street" carry. Depends on the venue. Out in the boonies, woods, etc. for open carry I like a flap holster with an integral mag pouch. It's still somewhat concealed as I usually have a shirt on long enough to at least partially conceal it.The only problem is the street is probably more dangerous than the woods :)

As they say you never know if you will need a spare mag but the highest capacity mag pistol I sometimes carry concealed has 16 round mags. With one in the pipe that gives me 17 rounds in a pistol that has never malfunctioned....I'm not going to concern myself with an extra mag.

But thats for "street" carry. Depends on the venue. Out in the boonies, woods, etc. for open carry I like a flap holster with an integral mag pouch. It's still somewhat concealed as I usually have a shirt on long enough to at least partially conceal it.The only problem is the street is probably more dangerous than the woods :)
I get that. My CZ has had exactly two malfuntions out of probably 4000 rounds and both were in the same box of frangible ammo. I'm not actually worried about a problem. I'm more coming at it from a "hey why not" POV.

Don't get "tunnel vision" thinking gun accessories. I use a soft ballistic nylon utility tool (Leatherman type) case with belt loops for horizontal carry. I have one large enough for the 12 round extended mag for my XD40 Subcompact, or the 17 round mag for my Sig P320 Cary. Also a smaller one that fits the mag for my LCP. Found them on ebay for less than ten bucks.

nothing screams "Look! He's got a gun!" like an open-top magazine carrier.

Assuming it's visible, which I would argue it shouldn't be. Nothing wrong with a flap if you want it, but a lot of single mag carriers are very flush to the body and print less than the pistol you're carrying.

Assuming it's visible, which I would argue it shouldn't be. Nothing wrong with a flap if you want it, but a lot of single mag carriers are very flush to the body and print less than the pistol you're carrying.
Right, it also goes under the shirt and is concealed.

In my area nearly every man I see has either a phone case or leatherman/flashlight on his belt so anyone seeing a straightish bulge on the belt will assume one of those, most likely.

Then again, with a Kytex carrier, my mags dont print at all unless I'm carrying a spare Glock 21 or Para 14.45 mag, and if I'm carrying the accompanying gun I'm wearing more than a tshirt anyhow.

Loose in a pocket is the absolute worst place for a mag. Buy or make a leather pouch.
Mind you, for self defence, you really shouldn't need a second mag. You are not going into combat. If you can't deal with whatever is bothering you with 10 plus rounds, another mag isn't going to help.

Loose in a pocket is the absolute worst place for a mag. Buy or make a leather pouch.
Mind you, for self defence, you really shouldn't need a second mag. You are not going into combat. If you can't deal with whatever is bothering you with 10 plus rounds, another mag isn't going to help.
An extra mag isn't just for capacity. In the event of a malfunction that requires stripping the magazine having a spare magazine is a plus. I've also never really gone with the, "If you can't handle it in X rounds...", logic. If I end up with extra ammunition I won't consider it wasted and I have yet to find an exact way to predict exactly how many rounds I'll need in a fight. If I knew a fight was going to happen I'd not be there, which to me also comes into play in that if the argument is it's statically unlikely to need more rounds I'd point out it's statically unlikely to need the gun in the first place. Besides the reasons above, I also find an extra magazine just makes my belt feel more balanced.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back